Medical permit after heart procedure

Archer Jack

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jack
My sister in law told me this morning of a friend of her's whose brother was able to regain his medical after having a heart transplant. I was surprised to hear this since all I have ever heard about FAA medical and heart problems is they are two mutually exclusive things. I thought it was very difficult to get a special issuance for any coronary problem, much less a heart transplant. I asked her to send me any details she could find out. Just wondered if anyone else had ever heard of that. :dunno:

Cardiac special issuances are very common, but I don’t know anybody that’s had a transplant.

Yes there is. Rodney debaun in Texas regained his third class after a heart transplant. He runs a foundation to help heart patients. It was a very tough go, and cost a bunch of money, but he got it done. He was based at my airport when he was fighting to get it back.

Yes there is. Rodney debaun in Texas regained his third class after a heart transplant. He runs a foundation to help heart patients. It was a very tough go, and cost a bunch of money, but he got it done. He was based at my airport when he was fighting to get it back.
Is this the same guy who started the Niklas Foundation in Grand Prairie. That's quite a story in itself. Thanks for responding:cheerswine:

Back