Medical over 90 days in review?

Wade

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Maxcat
My medical has been in review for over 90 days and I am beyond being frustrated. Any ideas on how to get a answer out of the FAA other than me calling, my AME calling and emailing, and my doctor calling?

I see those advertisments about companies that help with your medical and they said they can walk over and try to get a answer for a initial 300 deposit. Are they legit?

Do not pass go.
Do not spend that type of money without knowing exactly what the company will do, and how proqctive they are.

Friend of mine made the mistake of working with one of these compamies, I won't state names. But its been over 2 years and he's still in limbo. And not happy and has spent far too much money.

If your AME has been calling with little or no success, there's really not much else to do. You might contact Dr Bruce Chien and ask his opinion.

www.aeromedicaldoc.com

1) don't trust those companies. you can do it yourself and retain that money for other activities.
2) call 405-954-4821 on at least 3 non-consecutive days (hint, Friday then Monday is consecutive) and request the current status and ask POLITELY that your file be bumped upward in priority
3) if your AME is worth his shingle, he should be willing to call on your behalf
4) contact your Regional Flight Surgeon and see if they can assist

Dr. Bruce has shared here and on the AOPA Board that OKC is taking around 12 weeks to process much of the submissions. And this can get longer if your case was a complex SI requiring a senior doctor to approve or your submission is missing required items.

My medical has been in review for over 90 days and I am beyond being frustrated. Any ideas on how to get a answer out of the FAA other than me calling, my AME calling and emailing, and my doctor calling?

I see those advertisments about companies that help with your medical and they said they can walk over and try to get a answer for a initial 300 deposit. Are they legit?
If you are a revenue pilot (part 121) you AME can call an a medical officer will respond. If you are not, then
Not so much.

These outfits prey on frustrated aviators...FAA hates them...

I have no expertise on this, but I would be suspicious if they are saying that they will "try" for $300. If they don't have a policy of charging only if they succeed, maybe their success rate is not all that great.

In my case, I found the regional flight surgeon (and her pilot advocate assistant) very helpful. Others I've suggested it to here recently have gotten similar results. You may wish to try there. At least they can usually tell you what is going on, but in my case they let me cut through some of the US Mail tag and correspond with the guy reviewing my case directly.

I started my medical review back on Jun 18th 2016. I finally got a decision Jan 27th, 2017.

I started my medical review back on Jun 18th 2016. I finally got a decision Jan 27th, 2017.

I guess your lucky, I started the process in June also and still havent got it done.

I called the Flight Surgeon's office today and spoke to a real helpful lady there. She said all the info is in the doctors inbox and should just need a 5 minute review to be approved. She said there are only 3 doctors to review the medicals and one of them was pulled off for a different duty so it is taking ay least 6 weeks once it is in the doctors inbox.

Here's my Trump style tweet "FAA Med process broken see you in court. #FRUSTRATED"

Here's my Trump style tweet "FAA Med process broken see you in court. #FRUSTRATED"
While I get the humorous poke at our Tweeter in Chief, the medical review system has been bogged down for a very long time. Plenty of posts in the past from Bruce and others explaining what's going on behind the OKC curtain and how as soon as they make a dent in the paper stack, something negatively changes and they can't keep up.

This reminded me:

My AME visit was the first week of October. I have an SI that can be, and was, handled in-office and was issued my Class III. Normally, I will get a verification letter from FAA. It's now mid-Feb and I haven't received it.

I'm not grounded while I wait for it, but it sure would be nice to know that everything is OK.

While I get the humorous poke at our Tweeter in Chief, the medical review system has been bogged down for a very long time. Plenty of posts in the past from Bruce and others explaining what's going on behind the OKC curtain and how as soon as they make a dent in the paper stack, something negatively changes and they can't keep up.
And it truly won't get any better if the agency cuts that the WH wants are made.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back