Medical O2 tanks for Gliders/GA?

bigblockz8

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gore
I looked and looked on various sites but most mention airline or use requirements for supplemental oxygen. I can't really find much on the tanks but I am sure they must be blessed by the FAA. I have a few newly certified tanks that are same size as common ABO tanks sold by the various manufacturers. I see parts for portable systems in catalog's and such and it makes me wonder if I could use the medical tank for supplemental O2 systems. Valve fits and what not and I could slap an ABO label on and fill it with ABO but it seems too easy.

Here is some info I found:
"Oxygen cylinders should be hydrostatically tested every 5 years. Steel Cylinders are usually tested every 10 years. Specially constructed oxygen cylinders could have a shorter period for hydrostatically testing. There could also be a limit on how long the cylinder may be used when it was supplied as original equipment with a factory installed, built in oxygen system. Most cylinders can be used indefinitely. However, some aircraft may be required to replace the cylinders after 25 years. Factory supplied built in oxygen systems will have the necessary maintenance information in the aircraft manual.

Around the neck of the cylinder are letters and numbers stamped into the cylinder. Of importance to the pilot are three items. AT the beginning of the numbers are the letters, DOT. This indicates that the cylinder has been approved by the Department of Transportation, which means they can be commercially filled. European cylinders may not have the DOT stamped on the cylinder. This could prevent the cylinder from being refilled in the USA. Owners of imported aircraft from Europe should be aware of this problem.

After the DOT label, there will be 4 numbers. These indicate the rate cylinder pressure. 2015 and 2216 are common.

After the end of all the numbers will be two numbers followed by a letter that looks like an inverted capital A and then two more numbers. This is the date of manufacture of the cylinder. The first numbers are the month (03 for example would be March) and the last two being the year of manufacture (96 for would be for 1996).

The date testing is required is based on this date, not when the cylinder was purchased. It is quite common to have a unused cylinder that could be one of two years old.
"

Am I missing something here? I understand that this is for built in systems but same guidance should apply to portable correct?

General FYI: My tank is hydro certified til Feb 2017 and has DOT 2216 on it. However it was medical surplus and only cost me $5. It was made in 2009 and never used. Does not have an ABO label but as I said, can slap one on it.

Reason I ask: I've done a glider flight up to 9,400ft and felt a bit weird. We were freezing (this was in July in Maryland with an air temp on the ground of 98 degrees, both of us had shorts and a tee) and neither of us had O2 (also ran out of water). Still climbing though! Had to call it a day at that point. The PIC was having some issues, we were both tired and I actually fell asleep at 9,200-8,200 (sun+ no more water= dehydration) and when we descended he let me fly, much to my surprise he fell asleep! Long story short once at 2000 agl he woke up, I had no clue until he said he fell asleep, just dumb and happy while cruisin' along. Not exactly hypoxia but could have been a bad ending. I want to be prepared as I am going back to soaring and the same pilot and I plan on trying for 10,000 again. (Bringing extra water, some snacks, a couple of empty bottles, and air sickness pills this time.)

A side question as well, was that light-mild hypoxia+ dehydration? We had a Gatorade, 2 deer parks each, and he had chips. He is 68 and I was a bit airsick, had a sick sac ready to go.

I should add that he has a commercially available personal system that he got for $600-odd. I only have $51 at this point in time as well as the two O2 tanks.

Would they even need to be certified in anyway you aren't above 12.5k MSL?

Be careful building your own system, and if you do, be sure to protect the regulator. Tie the bottle down properly or use a harness.

It's not wrong to use oxygen lower than 10,000 to 12,000', but generally not necessary, either.

There's no difference between aviators breathing oxygen, welding oxygen, or medical oxygen. There's no difference in the purity, the moisture content, or quality. It all comes from the same source, and medical oxygen is moisturized during patient delivery; not before.

At a National Soaring Competition I worked at a few years ago we polled the pilots as to when they started using oxygen.
The must humorous answer was while pushing the glider to the flight line.

Many pilots used some oxygen though out most of the flight or at only a few thousand feet MSL. They are racing and want to insure they are on the top of there game.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Back