Medical mess...

bahama flier

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
bahama flier
Well its been three months since my medical reinstatement was sent to the FAA, I called them, yes its on their desk, no issues found, but call back in two weeks and maybe there will be an update.

This would be funny if it was not so serous, I stopped flying a year ago, I crank up my aircraft every two or three weeks, just flew one trip with my instructor to see if I could remember how to take off and land..this really sucks.

That's really lame...

I am a little new here. What happened? Did I miss something you posted in another thread?

It is a broken system which doesn't support a pilot's health. I don't think there's much more to be said beyond that.

Yeah, I went through the same deal. I eventually signed up for AOPA Pilot Protection Services. I don't know if I got my cert any faster. But, the AOPA rep went through the process with me and helped me understand what it was I needed to do.

This was after going to a crap AME that deferred me for no good reason, was no help and wouldn't even talk to me after he got my $$$.

My ordeal lasted for about 9 months from the date of the physical. (I was deferred for being 1 year post simple unilateral arthroscopic procedure with full recovery and no complications).

Last edited:
I kept calling them once a week to check the status. I got the same line that it is was on their desk, but no updates to the file and no decisions.

Finally talked to some supervisor type by pure luck, and she sent an email directly to the doc reviewing the case. When I called the following week they had finally made a decision. Took about a week for my medical to arrive in the mail after that.

So keep calling, and keep asking about it. I would just not be a total pain in the rear about it.

I made the misfortune of using a ineffective (and apparently illegally acting) AME. The one thing that helped was some sympathy from the RFS and their pilot advocate up in Jamocha Plains who helped find the doc reviewing my case and helped me give the information they wanted to know.

Back