Medical Marijuana

Let me ask this another, non-political, way.

Is current use of CBD disqualifying for a 3rd class medical?

Is use of CBD more than 6 months ago, but not in the last 6 months, disqualifying for a 3rd class medical?

Are there FAA guidelines that I can review regarding the use of CBD?
Go see an AME for a consult. You’ll likely find cbd is not ok ever. You’ll be able to get a medical eventually. But if you want to be a pilot you’ll have to choose cbd or flying. Can’t have both

But legal in several states, by prescription, for treatment of epilepsy. It's good that the Feds lack power over the states (beyond withholding funds).
The Feds' lack of power over the states is beside the point. All that means is that the Feds can't force a state to enforce Federal laws. It doesn't prevent the Feds from enforcing Federal laws themselves against people in that state.

Not true according to the article I just posted. If the CBD oil is made from hemp, not marijuana, it is not schedule 1 and the FAA has no policy on it.

Regardless, CBD oil is known to be detected by the THC screen on a drug test and that detection will be treated as marijuana use. No, they won't listen to your explanation that it was medical. No, that isn't fair. There is zero tolerance.

Bottom line, you cannot use any cannabis product or derivative.

Regardless, CBD oil is known to be detected by the THC screen on a drug test and that detection will be treated as marijuana use. No, they won't listen to your explanation that it was medical. No, that isn't fair. There is zero tolerance.

Bottom line, you cannot use any cannabis product or derivative.

I thought I said that in post number 39. Unless you are just violently agreeing with me.

And Dr. Bruce has already weighed in....

Exactly my point.

Go see an AME for a consult. You’ll likely find cbd is not ok ever. You’ll be able to get a medical eventually. But if you want to be a pilot you’ll have to choose cbd or flying. Can’t have both

^^^This. But I emphasize consult first.

If OP wants to fly:

Step 1: Stop taking oxycodone. Do not accept medical marijuana from your neuro in any form. Do not accept an antidepressant. Do not accept an anxiety med. Do not accept neurontin. Do not accept ANY prescription medication to "help" you get off oxy. If you do, there will exist documentation that you could not easily quit an addictive drug, therefore you are a suspected addict. This opens the floodgates of hell with the FAA if you ever hope to be certified. You want the record to be void of any hint you had trouble quitting.

Step 2: Deal with the pain using lifestyle changes and OTC products. Wait to stabilize. I recommend several months.

Step 3: Evaluate whether your condition has improved enough for you to function safely.

Step 4: If you decide it has, schedule a consult only with a quality AME. Do not allow him to make the application live until you know almost certainly that you will pass.

If you would like more detailed instructions I highly recommend contacting Dr. Chien through his website and paying him to look over your complete medical situation. He will better be able to tell you whether this dream can be real or if it would be better to put it aside.

Your questions about the oils and the 6 months ago are best answered by him.

Step 4: If you decide it has, schedule a consult only with a quality AME. Do not allow him to make the application live until you know almost with absolute certainly that you will pass.
Minor tweak. But agree with remainder.

Too bad that it’s completely impossible for anyone to obtain marijuana without a prescription being entered into a database....

The coroner.

Rich

Well, I think the nurses in the hospital will also if you survive the crash. The ***** of it is, if they find THC, it will cause the FAA to find you in violation and suspend your medical at the least. This in turn will result in your insurance company denying your, or your survivor's claim. Even if you die and move on, your surviving family could be hit with some pretty big bills, not to mention the total loss of a significant asset.

I’m a firm believer that someone can choose what they want to do with their life. Smoke pot? Shoot up drugs? Drink your life away? That’s your choice.

But you should not ever be granted a license to drive let alone fly. By doing so you are endangering innocent lives. If you get get a DUI it should be a lifetime ban on driving.

I know plenty of pot smokers. If you think it doesn’t affect you then your oblivious and in denial.

Life has consequences. If you want to do drugs have at it. But you should lose privileges where you jeopardize innocents.

I’m a firm believer that someone can choose what they want to do with their life. Smoke pot? Shoot up drugs? Drink your life away? That’s your choice.

But you should not ever be granted a license to drive let alone fly. By doing so you are endangering innocent lives. If you get get a DUI it should be a lifetime ban on driving.

I know plenty of pot smokers. If you think it doesn’t affect you then your oblivious and in denial.

Life has consequences. If you want to do drugs have at it. But you should lose privileges where you jeopardize innocents.

Agree but in this thread we're talking about a pain patient, not someone who's abusing substances for recreation and wants to get high and get in an airplane. He is trying to find out whether the alternative treatment his neurologist recommended is going to have ramifications for his medical certification. And he is not asking to fly while taking it, he has stated that he will have stopped use of CBD or medical marijuana for at least six months before applying for the medical.

So, not sure your point unless you are referring to Dav8or saying you can take all the CBD you want and still fly ultralights.

But you should not ever be granted a license to drive let alone fly. By doing so you are endangering innocent lives.

You do realize that the non flying public feels the same way about people flying little airplanes around, right? Are you not potentially endangering innocent lives just for your own pleasure?

But legal in several states, by prescription, for treatment of epilepsy. It's good that the Feds lack power over the states (beyond withholding funds).
But marijuana is a Schedule 1 drug and regardless of what individual states may say, it remains Federally illegal to use it, possess it, or prescribe it.

But marijuana is a Schedule 1 drug and regardless of what individual states may say, it remains Federally illegal to use it, possess it, or prescribe it.
So if you're using medical marijuana, authorized by a doctor or nurse practitioner in your state, and some government agency asks you if you're using illegal drugs....the answer is "yes".

("authorized", because marijuana, medical or otherwise, is Schedule 1, therefore illegal, and can't be "prescribed")

You aren't the subject of this thread!

I' wager that lots of pilots in legal marijuana states have used recreational marijuana without reporting it to the FAA. It's only a matter of time before we see a policy like 8 hours bottle to throttle with alcohol.
Except.....THC and effects do not metabolize the same way as alcohol.

You do realize that the non flying public feels the same way about people flying little airplanes around, right? Are you not potentially endangering innocent lives just for your own pleasure?

Interesting point. And in truth, we all subject others to de minimus risks of harm every day in our usual activities.

The critical question is when does that risk rise to a level that others are justified in trying to stop or restrict us from doing so. For example, by flying planes around.

In my view this sort of decision should be based on a rational assessment of the risks involved. But in the case of aviation, it is clearly based more on knee jerk reactions to past events.

Nonetheless, in the case of marijuana use, I suspect the data is fairly clear of you are actively using there is a cognitive impairment that will prevent safe flying.

The FAA doesn't have a problem with CBD oil, they have a problem with THC. The issue is that, since CBD oil isn't regulated or tested, some CBD products that are supposedly hemp-derived only actually have some measurable level of THC in them. CBD oil is Federally legal if it has less than 0.3% THC but that amount may show up on a screen. If you mention to the AME or on the MedXPress form that you've used CBD oil, they may well require you to prove that there was no psychoactive "contaminants", and you'll have to pee in a cup for THC, and it may turn up positive.

You probably know plenty that are high functioning also and you don't know they smoke pot. Beware of selection bias. If you are only counting the ones that have symptoms of abuse, you are not doing science.

FYI, you folks are responding to two-year old posts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back