Medical Issued as Special Issuance - Question

ttexrbomb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
I have been going through the process with FAA CAMI with regards to my first class medical. Everything appears to be resolved for the most part. But the letter is a Special Issuance Authorization based on a previous bariatric surgery (it was a gastric bypass, but it was conducted on me to relieve really bad acid reflux - it was not coded as a weight loss surgery). I had this surgery in 2019. The special issuance was expected, and the FAA said over the phone that they tend to want to follow bariatric surgery for two years.

My question is this. How long will I be subject to this special issuance? If they said they typically follow the surgery for two years, will it convert to a regular issuance after that? Do I need to do anything?

The letter throws out a few dates:

This Authorization expires: January 31, 2026. You must present this authorization to your AME at the time of each FAA medical application. This AUTHORIZATION supersedes any previously issued AUTHORIZATION. The medical certificate(s) issued pursuant to this Authorization shall not be valid beyond the expiration date of this Authorization.

A physical examination (FAA Form 8500-8) by a designated aviation medical examiner (AME) will be required at the frequency prescribed under the provisions of Title 14 of the CFR’s, Section 61.23. Your next first class application will be due in September 2021.

In March 2022, you are required to obtain a current history and clinical examination from your treating physician regarding your history of bariatric surgery. The report should address history and symptoms, current over-the-counter and prescription medications (name, dosage, indication,
frequency of use and side effects), diagnosis, treatment plan, and prognosis. Include the results and interpretative reports of any current testing clinically indicated.

If there have been no adverse changes in your medical condition, your current reports and/or testing are favorable, and you are otherwise qualified, the AME may issue your medical certificate. The medical certificate issued by your AME must include the following restriction: “Not valid for any class after March 31, 2023”.

I got it answered. Special issuances are issued for a duration of six years, and then expire after that. The FAA says this is standard, but in my case they will follow me for two years after the surgery. As long as there are no complications, they won’t require updates past 10/2021 for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back