medical issue, any suggestions Dr Bruce?

wby0nder

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Matt Michael
I went in for a medical today for the first time in several years because a pal has offered me the opportunity to fly his Citabria on a nice long XC ferry flight. I'm healthy as a horse. I'm essentially a professional athlete climbing trees for a living and otherwise running, skiing, or biking at an almost competitive level.

Due to losing my father to sudden heart attack at a young age I'm paranoid about heart disease and started going for semi-annual stress tests a few years ago. I always ace the tests with a good solid athletic performance that exceeds predicted values for my age. I also watch my BP (it runs borderline high) and take zocor which puts my cholesterol at 140. I'm not overweight and I'm 47 years old.

The problem with my medical is that since I reported the stress tests the AME (who is also my personal doc) tells me that the FAA is going to see that as a red flag and he has to defer until they can review it. He said he would report in his notes that the test was negative, the BP is controlled, I have never had any symptoms, and that I'm just taking prudent preventative measures. But, he said it would probably take weeks for the FAA to review and that they would likely then want to see the records of my stress tests. After that it would likely take MORE weeks or maybe months till it goes through.

Now, none of this is much of a surprise to me as I read this topic regularly and I know it's important to report everything. What I want to know is if my doc has everything straight and if there is ANYTHING I can do to expedite the process.

I rarely need a medical since I fly gliders and my airplane falls under light sport. But I do want a medical and I really want to fly that trip in the slow-tabria! That opportunity will probably go to someone else if this is going to take as long as I'm being told.

Matt, I have nothing to add, except to note that if true, this sort of thing (requiring additional testing just because one is being proactive) could have the unintended consequence of delaying detection or problems because pilots will likely forgo the additional testing rather than have to jump through the FAA's hoops. Frustrating!

Matt is about twice my age and about four times healthier. What a silly system.

I know nothing about this, but why would a proactive test that confirmed good health be a "red flag" and cause the medical to be deferred? That's pretty... dumb.

I'd think there would be some box within which the AME could write, "Airman is an athlete and undergoes routine stress tests. All results have been normal." Or if you think "athlete" is a stretch, legally speaking, how about "Airman undergoes routine stress tests because his employment is very physically demanding. All results have been normal."

Just seems weird to me that being proactive should be a red flag.

-Rich

Matt, it may be worth your while to fly to Peoria in the LSA (or heck a car).

If you can get a letter from the cardiologist or the hosptial (that would be a report only) saying the test was negative, we don't need to submit the tracings because you have no presumption of CAD. I can't believe he didn't say, "Let me call the doc up and have him scribble me a note...." and did he SEND THE STUFF IN?

IF he issued, he's got balls, and he's warning you about "love letters from the FAA".
If he sent the stuff in without offering to hold for 14 days while you got the results in writing, he's just taking the easy (for him) path.

As you don't have the diagnosis of coronary disease, all you have to do is document that you have no diagnosis of coronary disease. If you can get such a letter, or report, just fax me. If you PM me your birth date I can find out if he sent the exam in or not....

Matt is about twice my age and about four times healthier. What a silly system.
No, most lkely just a silly AME.

Last edited:
I have no personal history of coronary issues. My father and his brothers all did and died young. Last year the family physician wanted a stress EKG for "base line". I was 53.

Time for my Class II and the AF Flight Doc AME, he asked about my spring check up with the family physician and blood work from there. I am on cholestrol meds. I mentioned the stress EKG. Luckily both docs are in the same hospital, he was able to look up the blood work and the EKG report in the computer during our consult and he completed the Class II and sent it in.

Never heard a word from OKC.

But I would ask of the original OP... why semi-annual stress tests? Isn't one enough if you are fit?

Last edited:
But I would ask of the original OP... why semi-annual stress tests? Isn't one enough if you are fit?[/quote]

Things can change and being an athlete is no guarantee you cant have heart disease. As I stated in the original post, I have borderline high BP, high cholesterol (if untreated) and I'm paranoid. Better safe than sorry. My dad was only 43 when he keeled-over, his dad 56.

I however, am in a lot better shape than they were. Just this afternoon I did interval training for about 27 miles on the biggest hills in central Iowa (cycling)

Checked with the regional office today and they wanted a couple records faxed in. Said they review everything within 10 days. Last week when I called they hadn't even gotten my file from the AME! So, it's been good that I've bugged them. Both times I've called they've said their system is down and they can't find my file. Very friendly and helpful but they seem like they have their hands full.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back