Medical Flight Test question

FutureFly

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
FutureFly
Does a Medical Flight Test, require a DPE and a CFI in the plane with the student to conduct said flight? Or could an DPE also be a CFI thus allowing for test to be conducted in a 150/152 for example.

What would the CFI be doing?
I thought the reason for a medical flight test is to prove to the DPE and FAA that you can safely fly and land the plane, to be issued a SI or SODA, and given it would need to be completed before one solo”s, thought a CFI could be required as well due to needing one in the airplane since one has not solo”s before medical flight test.

If this hasn't already been answered, I MAY be able to help.

I had to get a MFT BEFORE I could even get a Class 3 medical. The issue is that I couldn't be cleared to Solo till I had my medical....a bit of a chicken or the egg thing. The FSDO assigned me to a specific DPE, that was also a CFI. (I needed a CFI because I wasn't even cleared to solo, let alone take passengers.) The DPE had to get checked out by my CFI in the plane I rented then I went up with the DPE.

The MFT was NOT to verify I could safely fly the plane. It was to verify that whatever my medical issue was (mine was monocular vision) was not prohibitive to my ability to fly. For my MFT, the DPE asked me questions about distances both on the ground and in the air. He helped me with the landing but I called out distances as I was trying to handle the landing. I passed because the distance judgements and my ability to see other airplanes were deemed acceptable...it was NOT a judgement of my quality as a pilot, only of my medical condition/fitness.

James

You have to have evaluable airman skills. Therefore you must at least already be signed off for solo.

Also it depends on whether it's a one eye does-not-meet-stds ride or a visual fields ride, or a color ride. In our FSDO the DPE get the call from the FSDO when such is to occur. Because the FAA does not want to be PIC, if you are in such a district you have to finish PVT ASEL....whichmakes it kinda impossible if you never get a medical or get one that sez, "valid for checkride purposes only". How're you gonna meet the solo requirements?

But for color situations, you have no problem beucase there are no solo night tasks for Privarte ASEL.

The DPEs are willing to sit in the right seat with a solo-able candidate and evaluate his performance. The FSDO is not.

Back