Medical DWI 20 years ago

Chasen80

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Chasen80
Hey everyone, new student pilot here with some questions. I had a DWI back in 2002, one and only, in which I blew a .08, performed field sobriety, arrested etc etc. I was issued an SIS by the court, finished all my assigned tasks, probation, SATOP class. It’s all history, but clearly not to the FAA. Went for my medical, AME deferred. It’s in the FAAs hands now. I submitted all court records, a personal statement, and everything they wanted, any reason to worry about a denial? I’m getting ready to drop a stack on a 141 and would like to start flying, but just wondering if they would deny me a medical? Thanks all

A single event more than five years ago with low BAC and with no indication of substance dependence should be issuable. In fact, had you got your ducks in a row before applying for the medical, you might have gotten it by now.

A single event more than five years ago with low BAC and with no indication of substance dependence should be issuable. In fact, had you got your ducks in a row before applying for the medical, you might have gotten it by now.

Based upon my very limited knowledge of the deferral process for DUIs, this is either a clear ****-up by the AME or there's more to the story. If this were well and truly the only alcohol-related even in OPs life AND they blew <= 0.15, this was issuable in-office, with supporting documentation.

To OP, they could deny you a medical. They could also deny you a medical but subsequently tell you that "you can get a medical if you jump through a bunch of different and costly hoops." Be prepared for either. Or Both. Or neither. But also be prepared to wait several months, at the earliest.

Based upon my very limited knowledge of the deferral process for DUIs, this is either a clear ****-up by the AME or there's more to the story. If this were well and truly the only alcohol-related even in OPs life AND they blew <= 0.15, this was issuable in-office, with supporting documentation.

To OP, they could deny you a medical. They could also deny you a medical but subsequently tell you that "you can get a medical if you jump through a bunch of different and costly hoops." Be prepared for either. Or Both. Or neither. But also be prepared to wait several months, at the earliest.

No more to the story. I guess he’s just known to auto defer at any legal trouble. Wish I would’ve known this before hand. You live you learn I guess. Buddy of mine had same thing happen, he received his medical with a “do not do it again letter” a month after submission. Is what it is, I’ll just have to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not a screw up if the airman didn't have the proof needed to issue. The AME had no choice really but to defer. You have to show you had a low BAC and have the driving history to show it was the only one. PLUS you have to convince the AME that you don't have any other signs of substance abuse disorders.

It's not a screw up if the airman didn't have the proof needed to issue. The AME had no choice really but to defer. You have to show you had a low BAC and have the driving history to show it was the only one. PLUS you have to convince the AME that you don't have any other signs of substance abuse disorders.

Thus the clause "with supporting documentation" in my original post. You're right though; regardless of documentation, you'd still have to convince the AME that there's no other signs of substance abuse issues.

It sounds like potential airman had the information but didn't present it to the AME. It also sounds like the AME is just a hard "defer" on any cases more challenging than standard, judging from a follow-up post from OP.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back