Medical Done,.. Student Certificate in Hand

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
Well, today was pretty uneventful with the exception of a long wait in the doctor's office. I arrived at 1pm, for my 1:15 appointment. I knew I filled out the FAA MedExpress form, but didn't know if there was any other basic office paperwork I would have to fill out when I arrived. Well, no,.. so I sat there from 1pm - 1:30 waiting. For a family practice, and being an AME, there were only kids books to scan. I made the suggestion of having some AOPA or other aviation books available.

At 1:30, the nurse came out and took me back,... took my weight, height, checked my vision (20/20) and then took my Blood Pressure. I was wondering about this for the past few weeks and discussing it online, as they recommend 155/90 as a max, with 120/80 recommended. I've been at 135/72 +/- for a while according to the pharmacy BP meter at Giant. Today, I was 120/82, so pretty much right on target with my other doctor visits from over a year ago. Maybe the BP meter at Giant is a little high since it is electronic and not adjustable for your arm.

Well,.. waited in the exam room then for another 25 minutes,.. and then the Dr came in. He checked my lungs and heart during some heavy breathing, then checked my ears, nose, and throat. After asking a few general questions he said, "You're good to go flying, we'll type this up for you". $85 dollars later, they handed over my Class 3 Medical Card and Student Certificate. On the back, it has places for my instructor to authorize my first solo, and solo cross-country flights. Makes my training feel even more real now. :yes:

Next flight is this coming weekend,... hope the weather stays like today. Nice an clear and in the 40's,.. so much for winter.

I thought it would be more involved than what it was, but it's nice to have it done.

So, as I understand the rules,... the Student Certificate is good for 2 years, expiring end of January 2010, but my medical is good to the end of January 2011 since I'm 28 yrs old. Not that I expect to drag anything out with my training, as I'm shooting for August to take the checkride, but just wanted to be sure I understood.

Last edited:
I thought it would be more involved than what it was, but it's nice to have it done.

So, as I understand the rules,... the Student Certificate is good for 2 years, expiring end of January 2010, but my medical is good to the end of January 2011 since I'm 28 yrs old. Not that I expect to drag anything out with my training, as I'm shooting for August to take the checkride, but just wanted to be sure I understood.
This is correct. However, should your training go beyond the two years of the student pilot certificate, you can go to the FSDO or any DPE and they will reissue a student pilot certificate. The FSDO is free and DPEs will usually do it as a courtesy since it involves very little time.

There had been a proposal to make the student pilot certificate also three years but common sense continues to elude the FAA.

Back