Medical Disqualification

U

Unregistered

Last week I ended up at the ER because of a kidney stone. I passed the stone on Tuesday and I am not taking any medication. IAW 61.53 I did not fly while I had a condition that I knew made me unable to meet the requirements for my second class medical. Now that I have passed the stone, I am no longer suffering from a condition that makes me ineligible for a medical. Are there any other requirements that I have to meet before I fly again?

Last week I ended up at the ER because of a kidney stone. I passed the stone on Tuesday and I am not taking any medication. IAW 61.53 I did not fly while I had a condition that I knew made me unable to meet the requirements for my second class medical. Now that I have passed the stone, I am no longer suffering from a condition that makes me ineligible for a medical. Are there any other requirements that I have to meet before I fly again?

My recollection of my own experience with a KS (the day after my checkride!!!) was that I was self grounded until my urologist cleared me for normal activities. Then at my AME visit I needed a report from that urologist that described the type of stone (chemical composition), what I was doing to prevent a recurrence, and a recent KUB xray showing I was stone free. You'll probably need that report - but when to schedule the KUB is something I'm not qualified to answer (I think it needs to be less than 90 days old the next time you see your AME).

Doc Bruce will have the answer:

http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/

Let your AME know, and ask them what reports you need from your urologist next time you visit for your medical. That will help make it a smooth process if you have it all done ahead of time.

I'm on an SI for passing a kidney stone a few years ago. Annual KUB, renew medical within 90 days. I get 1 year 3rd class medicals (well, I still need the exam every other year, but the medical must be renewed annually with a KUB). Really no big deal. Not like the stone was before I passed it.

Three ways to certifiy a guy with stones:
(1) Prove with a CT you have none, after passage
(2) Two identical radiologic studies >90 days apart showing no new stones formed--->SI for annual CT and one year at a time issuance. Best to capture a stone for this one if you can so your doc and give you specific metabolic advice on how to stop the stone factory.
(3) Change diagnosis to nephrocalcinosis- this is when the kidneys look like a snowstorm on X-ray, and there are hundreds of old stones that are incorporated into the lining of the tubes and THEREFORE CANNOT MOVE.

Three ways to certifiy a guy with stones:
(1) Prove with a CT you have none, after passage
(2) Two identical radiologic studies >90 days apart showing no new stones formed--->SI for annual CT and one year at a time issuance. Best to capture a stone for this one if you can so your doc and give you specific metabolic advice on how to stop the stone factory.
(3) Change diagnosis to nephrocalcinosis- this is when the kidneys look like a snowstorm on X-ray, and there are hundreds of old stones that are incorporated into the lining of the tubes and THEREFORE CANNOT MOVE.

Welcome back, Doc. You've been missed.

Thanks, jonesy but I'm not staying. Not until POA does something about the ones the attack personally (Oh, I profit from the system!)....yeah, at $120 per and all the paperwork....not so much, and the ones that advise lying.....

Thanks, jonesy but I'm not staying. Not until POA does something about the ones the attack personally (Oh, I profit from the system!)....yeah, at $120 per and all the paperwork....not so much, and the ones that advise lying.....

Just put the rectal orifices on ignore. :yes:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back