Medical denied-HHT

  • Thread starter Thread starter mister ed
  • Start date Start date
M

mister ed

Guest
I searched and couldn't find anything. I have a genetic blood vessel disorder called HHT. Basically I have arteries that go to veins without capillaries in between. Mine has been only found in my lungs and has been addressed by a surgeon plugging the affected vessels. I should have researched this before I went for a 3rd class medical. Live and learn. Was deferred, then denied. The FAA letter was pretty much "Sorry, not much hope." Didn't even ask for further documentation. Is that the final answer? I had a 3rd class medical several years ago before I was diagnosed but quit flying and was considering going back. May have to spend money on something else.
 
Hereditary Hemmoraghic telangiectasia is a bummer. The things just bust loose and bleed. The agnecy is afraid of them (1) in the brain, (2) in the spine, and (3)in the viscera (lungs, liver, bowel).

I've never put one through the agency, and have been counseling to go to LSA and await Mosaic.

I suppose you'd have to show simultaneously lack of HHT in the brain and spine, and pre-establish the low rate of the fomration of new ones such that the agency might conside a 6 month Special Issuance.

I wish you had gone to basic med, for which you were eliglbe until you were denied :(.
 
Hereditary Hemmoraghic telangiectasia is a bummer. The things just bust loose and bleed. The agnecy is afraid of them (1) in the brain, (2) in the spine, and (3)in the viscera (lungs, liver, bowel).

I've never put one through the agency, and have been counseling to go to LSA and await Mosaic.

I suppose you'd have to show simultaneously lack of HHT in the brain and spine, and pre-establish the low rate of the fomration of new ones such that the agency might conside a 6 month Special Issuance.

I wish you had gone to basic med, for which you were eliglbe until you were denied :(.
Thank you for the info. I should have done more research before I went for my medical. I thought since my lungs had been addressed and don't have it anywhere else I would be OK.
 
Thank you for the info. I should have done more research before I went for my medical. I thought since my lungs had been addressed and don't have it anywhere else I would be OK.
 
Hereditary Hemmoraghic telangiectasia is a bummer. The things just bust loose and bleed. The agnecy is afraid of them (1) in the brain, (2) in the spine, and (3)in the viscera (lungs, liver, bowel).

I've never put one through the agency, and have been counseling to go to LSA and await Mosaic.

I suppose you'd have to show simultaneously lack of HHT in the brain and spine, and pre-establish the low rate of the fomration of new ones such that the agency might conside a 6 month Special Issuance.

I wish you had gone to basic med, for which you were eliglbe until you were denied :(.
Sounds to me like the OP has never held an aeromedical certificate. BasicMed would not have been an option (Light Sport would have though).
 
Sounds to me like the OP has never held an aeromedical certificate. BasicMed would not have been an option (Light Sport would have though).
Last sentence by OP states they held a 3rd class several years ago.
 
Last sentence by OP states they held a 3rd class several years ago.
Ah...missed that one. Then it would depend on whether that medical was held before or after July 14th, 2006. Either way...he has no eligibility at this point.
 
Last 3rd class was about 1993. It looks like I'm done.
Had you not pursued the medical, you could have flown under Light Sport privileges as that only requires a valid driver license.

But...even with that, 14 CFR 61.53 always applies.
 
Had you not pursued the medical, you could have flown under Light Sport privileges as that only requires a valid driver license.

But...even with that, 14 CFR 61.53 always applies.
If I thought I was a hazard I wouldn't have tried, but my case is pretty mild compared to some. I don't think I'm any more of a danger than any other mid 60's old man. Apparently the FAA doesn't agree. All of my issues related to the condition have been resolved. Anyway, can't do much about it.
 
Here is another thread on the topic: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/pulmonary-avms.131107/#post-3057033

I (the poster in that thread) have so far stuck with basic med, so can't help you in your case unfortunately. I spoke with some AMEs I trusted (not that the folks in the other thread or in this one are untrustworthy) and the consensus was an SI may be possible but the anemia was going to be troublesome in my case. I have trouble maintaining iron and hemoglobin levels, transfusions are very effective but expensive, and the higher my levels are the worse my nose bleeds. Best case for me was to expect an SI with a stipulation about keeping iron and hemoglobin in the green.

Hang in there and look into the HHT centers that might get you into a clinical trial and/or have doctors with specific experience that may help you in getting your medical back. https://curehht.org/understanding-hht/get-support/hht-treatment-centers/
 
Here is another thread on the topic: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/pulmonary-avms.131107/#post-3057033

I (the poster in that thread) have so far stuck with basic med, so can't help you in your case unfortunately. I spoke with some AMEs I trusted (not that the folks in the other thread or in this one are untrustworthy) and the consensus was an SI may be possible but the anemia was going to be troublesome in my case. I have trouble maintaining iron and hemoglobin levels, transfusions are very effective but expensive, and the higher my levels are the worse my nose bleeds. Best case for me was to expect an SI with a stipulation about keeping iron and hemoglobin in the green.

Hang in there and look into the HHT centers that might get you into a clinical trial and/or have doctors with specific experience that may help you in getting your medical back. https://curehht.org/understanding-hht/get-support/hht-treatment-centers/
I've thought about contacting Mayo Clinic as they have HHT specialists along with AME's. Other than the AVM's in my lungs that have been coiled and occasional nose bleeds I really have no issues. My iron and hemoglobin levels are normal and no AVM's in my brain.
 
Here is another thread on the topic: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/pulmonary-avms.131107/#post-3057033

I (the poster in that thread) have so far stuck with basic med, so can't help you in your case unfortunately. I spoke with some AMEs I trusted (not that the folks in the other thread or in this one are untrustworthy) and the consensus was an SI may be possible but the anemia was going to be troublesome in my case. I have trouble maintaining iron and hemoglobin levels, transfusions are very effective but expensive, and the higher my levels are the worse my nose bleeds. Best case for me was to expect an SI with a stipulation about keeping iron and hemoglobin in the green.

Hang in there and look into the HHT centers that might get you into a clinical trial and/or have doctors with specific experience that may help you in getting your medical back. https://curehht.org/understanding-hht/get-support/hht-treatment-centers/
Well, I found an AME who is actually in the same office as my HHT specialist. Consulted him, he reviewed my records and discussed it with the FAA. He said my chances were about as close to zero as you could get. He added I could appeal it but it would be lots of time and money. Not pursuing any farther.
 
Well, I found an AME who is actually in the same office as my HHT specialist. Consulted him, he reviewed my records and discussed it with the FAA. He said my chances were about as close to zero as you could get. He added I could appeal it but it would be lots of time and money. Not pursuing any farther.
Sorry to hear that, but glad you got good advice from a knowledgeable AME before spending a bunch of money chasing it. All things considered, it is better to have this condition under control than ignored. Hopefully some more suitable treatments and a "cure" for HHT can be found.

Motor gliders are still fun to fly and give you lots of range, just at slower speeds!
 
Well, I found an AME who is actually in the same office as my HHT specialist. Consulted him, he reviewed my records and discussed it with the FAA. He said my chances were about as close to zero as you could get. He added I could appeal it but it would be lots of time and money. Not pursuing any farther.
Hello, My son got deferred due to his HHT. He is 21 and trying to pursue a career in aviation. We didn't even think it would be an issue, as he had a few pulmonary AVM's coiled, but otherwise Brain MRI, etc. all clear. No anemia. His physician, a cardiologist, said the only concern is with scuba diving, and flying is not an issue. We were stunned the FAA did this. However, they are asking for current brain scans, with a report, CBC blood panel, etc. which of course could be quite costly. His only MRI was a few years back, but you don't randomly develop AVM's, so if his brain was clear once he should be clear in that department. I guess I am just curious as to what reason your AME and HHT Specialist gave for the "close to zero as you could get" :( Thanks for any insight you may have. I would hate for this to be the end of the line for him.
 
Hello, My son got deferred due to his HHT. He is 21 and trying to pursue a career in aviation. We didn't even think it would be an issue, as he had a few pulmonary AVM's coiled, but otherwise Brain MRI, etc. all clear. No anemia. His physician, a cardiologist, said the only concern is with scuba diving, and flying is not an issue. We were stunned the FAA did this. However, they are asking for current brain scans, with a report, CBC blood panel, etc. which of course could be quite costly. His only MRI was a few years back, but you don't randomly develop AVM's, so if his brain was clear once he should be clear in that department. I guess I am just curious as to what reason your AME and HHT Specialist gave for the "close to zero as you could get" :( Thanks for any insight you may have. I would hate for this to be the end of the line for him.
Sorry for being so late. Just saw this. My HHT specialist only gave records to the AME. The AME called the FAA medical department and they discussed my case. The FAA told the AME my chances for a medical were about zero. I then received a letter from the FAA stating they didn't see any way I would get a medical. I'm old enough I wasn't going to hire a lawyer and appeal to the NTSB. Too much time and money. I'm sorry your son is going through this.
 
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back
Top