Medical deferred

U

Unregistered

So went to get my first medical today so I can solo and got deferred. Had a public intoxication arrest almost 5 years ago while on spring break back in college. Nothing that has affected my drivers license and only have a couple speeding tickets over the years. On my form 8500-8 I checked no on 18v and yes on 18w. I thought 18v was only for things while driving or to do with driving privileges. Also wrote up a statement as to what happened and carried my arrest report with me. The lady at the doctors office said she called the faa and was told I should have checked yes to 18v and they would have to defer it because they would not let them change the form. She had me write another statement describing my drinking habits from the time of my arrest until now. So she faxed everything to whoever she had talked to and said the faa would send me a letter letting me know what to do next. My CFI told me it shouldn't be too big a deal as he has friends that fly corporate with DUI charges. My question is what happens next and what kind of timeframe should I be expecting? I think the not knowing is bothering me more than anything else at the moment.

The "lady" had better have been the examining doctor or else your AME is violating the rules.
Your AME is a pathetic idiot. However, the damage is done, you're going to have to wait for the the letter to come back from the FAA.

Much turmoil in the FAA aeromedical. It's not possible typically to grease the skids anymore to get ahead of others as knowledgeable AMEs in the past would do. I think it's running about a month to turn these around.

You can get a more definitive answer from Doc Bruce (either on his website aeromedicaldoc.com or by asking this question over on the AOPA forums).

I believe your AME screwed you...been there, done that.

Call your Regional Flight Surgeon and explain you situation. He may be able to grab your file and deal with it. Or he may be too busy. It's worth a try and it's the first call I'd make if I was you. Good luck.

Had a public intoxication arrest almost 5 years ago while on spring break back in college. Nothing that has affected my drivers license and only have a couple speeding tickets over the years. On my form 8500-8 I checked no on 18v and yes on 18w.
Assuming your public intoxication arrest did not result in any action on your drivers license and you did not have to attend an educational or rehab program as a result of that arrest, you did that correctly.

I thought 18v was only for things while driving or to do with driving privileges.
That's not quite correct. See item (2) under 18v, and note that if you were sent to an educational or rehab program as a result of the arrest, it doesn't matter that you weren't driving when you were arrested -- you'd have to check "yes" on 18v and attach an explanation.

Also wrote up a statement as to what happened and carried my arrest report with me. The lady at the doctors office said she called the faa and was told I should have checked yes to 18v
Since you didn't say whether or not you were sent to an educational or rehab program as a result of that arrest, one can't say for sure without knowing more than you have already posted.

She had me write another statement describing my drinking habits from the time of my arrest until now. So she faxed everything to whoever she had talked to and said the faa would send me a letter letting me know what to do next.
That part is correct -- you'll now have to stand by until the FAA Aeromedical people make a decision. As F'Ron said, you would be well-advised to talk with Dr. Chien about this.

Call your Regional Flight Surgeon and explain you situation. He may be able to grab your file and deal with it. Or he may be too busy. It's worth a try and it's the first call I'd make if I was you. Good luck.
I'm not sure the RFS is in the loop on this -- I think it goes straight to Oklahoma City. In any event, I'd strongly suggest talking to Dr. Chien before you talk to anyone else in the FAA.

The "lady" had better have been the examining doctor or else your AME is violating the rules.
Your AME is a pathetic idiot. However, the damage is done, you're going to have to wait for the the letter to come back from the FAA.

Much turmoil in the FAA aeromedical. It's not possible typically to grease the skids anymore to get ahead of others as knowledgeable AMEs in the past would do. I think it's running about a month to turn these around.

You can get a more definitive answer from Doc Bruce (either on his website aeromedicaldoc.com or by asking this question over on the AOPA forums).

I believe your AME screwed you...been there, done that.

Excactly. Why are these people allowed to be an AME?

It cost me $30,000 to get my medical back one time because an AME screwed up the EKG. His lawyer did suggest that he repay my losses as a settlement. (Which he did) Now that person is no longer allowed to be an AME.

So went to get my first medical today so I can solo and got deferred. Had a public intoxication arrest almost 5 years ago while on spring break back in college. Nothing that has affected my drivers license and only have a couple speeding tickets over the years. On my form 8500-8 I checked no on 18v and yes on 18w. I thought 18v was only for things while driving or to do with driving privileges. Also wrote up a statement as to what happened and carried my arrest report with me. The lady at the doctors office said she called the faa and was told I should have checked yes to 18v and they would have to defer it because they would not let them change the form. She had me write another statement describing my drinking habits from the time of my arrest until now. So she faxed everything to whoever she had talked to and said the faa would send me a letter letting me know what to do next. My CFI told me it shouldn't be too big a deal as he has friends that fly corporate with DUI charges. My question is what happens next and what kind of timeframe should I be expecting? I think the not knowing is bothering me more than anything else at the moment.

All this over public intoxication :mad2:

Gotta love the gooberment

I did not have to attend any type of educational program. Pretty sure the only reason I was arrested in the first place is because the town likes to collect the fines. In my original statement of the 8500-8 I stated that I was simply held until I sobered up, asked to pay a fine, and sent on my way.

I did not have to attend any type of educational program. Pretty sure the only reason I was arrested in the first place is because the town likes to collect the fines. In my original statement of the 8500-8 I stated that I was simply held until I sobered up, asked to pay a fine, and sent on my way.
Then your answer to 18v should have been "no", but assuming you were convicted of (or pleaded guilty to, which is the same thing to the FAA in this situation) a misdemeanor offense, you'd still have to check "yes" to 18w and tell the whole story anyway.
Application Process for Medical Certification

Applicant History - Item 18. Medical History
w. History of nontraffic convictions

The applicant must report any other (nontraffic) convictions (e.g., assault, battery, public intoxication, robbery, etc.). The applicant must name the charge for which convicted and the date of the conviction(s), and copies of court documents (if available). (See Item 47).
That leads the AME to this page, which you can read for yourself to get an idea of why an AME might defer your case (past alcohol issue plus "a couple of speeding tickets" plus whatever you said about your "drinking habits"). Best way to get a read on what's likely to happen now would be to contact Dr. Chien, provide him everything you gave the AME/FAA (and more importantly, give complete, honest, and frank answers to any other questions he asks whether you told the FAA any of that or not), and see what he says.

Spring break, college age, drunk in public.... pretty sure that is why you were arrested, and you probably were not the only one. Anyway sounds like they were pretty lenient on you. It could have been much worse.

I am guessing you were of legal age, otherwise you would have to had a parent or legal guardian pick you up.

Were you given a breathalyzer? Or a field sobriety test? Was it an actual arrest with charges filed or did they just keep you for the night because you didn't appear to be able to take care of yourself? In other words do you have a record of arrest on file in that town?

No need to answer on a public forum if you wish not to.

Anyway, Find a good AME. Preferably one that is a pilot. Ask him or her if (s)he is a pilot advocate or adversary. If they don't know or you don't like the answer, leave.

Holy crap. This is a minor issue. And you guys are all sending him to a senior AME who deals with "hard" cases. Sheesh. Talk about bringing an Uzi to a knife fight. There are other AMEs out there, probably several he can visit on his lunch break. A guy I trained with had the same issue, had to write a letter and medical was in hand a week later. His AME is probably fine, but let's jump on him anyway.

I'd stick with your current AME, you should have your paperwork in a week or two.

I had a similar issue (not an arrest, just an improper deferral by a boneheaded AME who specifically lied to me and from talking to Doctor Bruce later did a number of things that should have had his designation slapped). I found there was not much that can be done until the initial letter comes back from the review. The RFS was helpful at that point, but the "paperwork" is now in processing hell and won't likely see the light of day until they kick back the "You appear to not meet the requirements letter..."

Holy crap. This is a minor issue. And you guys are all sending him to a senior AME who deals with "hard" cases. Sheesh. Talk about bringing an Uzi to a knife fight. There are other AMEs out there, probably several he can visit on his lunch break. A guy I trained with had the same issue, had to write a letter and medical was in hand a week later. His AME is probably fine, but let's jump on him anyway.

I'd stick with your current AME, you should have your paperwork in a week or two.

You're right that it should be a fairly minor thing. But his AME screwed up or is simply ignorant about what needs to be done. With a decent AME he'd have a medical and be flying instead of posting on a flying forum. Why go through the time and stress of a deferral when you can get your ducks in a row and get issued? Unfortunately, not all AMEs know how to do that.

One e-mail to Dr. B and he'll know what needs to be done instead of wondering.

You'll be fine. Don't sweat it.

I know dudes with 2 DUIs who had to jump through lots of hoops--but still got their medical back.

You are not the droids they are looking for. But, if you want to follow up, call FAA at this number, give them your social, and ask them for the status of your medical: (405) 954-4300

No need to call a Senior AME on this. Seriously. 99% chance you'll have your medical in 2 weeks. If not, and they make you jump through hoops, then maybe call Chien.

I would think at this point, it would be best to wait untill you get the letter, and find out just exactly what hoops you need to be jumping through.

Just to give an update. After waiting and being nervous for just over 2 weeks I recieved my student pilot/medical certificate in the mail. It said it was issued 10 days ago but I guess the mail is a little slow. Now if I can get the right weather to solo.

That's great news - good luck on the solo and don't use that AME again...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back