Medical Certificates and Non-Profit Ops

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Is a second class medical required for a non-profit op where the pax are paying a donation fee for the ride, but the pilot(s) are not compensated?

Note that there are a slew of other requirements other than the medical certificate if you're going to do that.

Note that there are a slew of other requirements other than the medical certificate if you're going to do that.
Yes of course, but that wasn't the question - the question is whether or not you need a 2nd class medical...or perhaps I should have asked - 'can a private pilot fly an airplane for a non-profit that charges for the rides but the pilot receives no compensation (other than free flight time).

Is a second class medical required for a non-profit op where the pax are paying a donation fee for the ride, but the pilot(s) are not compensated?
The mere fact that the operation is "not for profit" is not sufficient to waive that requirement if someone is paying for the ride. Unless the flight meets all the criteria in 91.146, it will require a CP ticket and a Second Class medical (among other things, including a 100-hour inspection).

The mere fact that the operation is "not for profit" is not sufficient to waive that requirement if someone is paying for the ride. Unless the flight meets all the criteria in 91.146, it will require a CP ticket and a Second Class medical (among other things, including a 100-hour inspection).

Okay perhaps I should explain the situation - 501c3 organization that gives rides in a large transport category airplane (2 flight crew required). All the legal details of operating the aircraft for rides have been taken care of by the museum. I am Comm AMEL, SIC rated in the aircraft and current in the aircraft.....but my 2nd class medical has lapsed into a 3rd. I am not an employee of the museum.

If I want to sit right seat in the aircraft while it is conducting rides, do I need to renew my 2nd class?

Okay perhaps I should explain the situation - 501c3 organization that gives rides in a large transport category airplane (2 flight crew required). All the legal details of operating the aircraft for rides have been taken care of by the museum. I am Comm AMEL, SIC rated in the aircraft and current in the aircraft.....but my 2nd class medical has lapsed into a 3rd. I am not an employee of the museum.

If I want to sit right seat in the aircraft while it is conducting rides, do I need to renew my 2nd class?

You should ask the organization that "took care" of all the legal details. Whatever they negotiated with the FAA should spell out the pilot particulars.

This doesn't directly answer the question, but CAP's exemptions require a CPL and second class medical for transporting certain non-Air Force and non-CAP personnel or property.

Okay perhaps I should explain the situation - 501c3 organization that gives rides in a large transport category airplane (2 flight crew required).
How large?
(3) The airplane or helicopter has a maximum of 30 seats, excluding each crewmember seat, and a maximum payload capacity of 7,500 pounds;

All the legal details of operating the aircraft for rides have been taken care of by the museum. I am Comm AMEL, SIC rated in the aircraft
By that you mean you have an SIC type rating for this aircraft on your certificate?

That will depend on how big the plane is. If it meets the 91.146 requirement above, and the letter is sent to the FSDO, and they don't tell you "no," you should be OK. If it's bigger, you'll need an LoA from the FSDO to do this regardless of what certificate you have, and then it will depend on what it says in the LoA.

How large?
It's a DC-3

By that you mean you have an SIC type rating for this aircraft on your certificate?.
Yes

That will depend on how big the plane is. If it meets the 91.146 requirement above, and the letter is sent to the FSDO, and they don't tell you "no," you should be OK. If it's bigger, you'll need an LoA from the FSDO to do this regardless of what certificate you have, and then it will depend on what it says in the LoA.

Sounds like I really need to discuss this with the organization itself to see what's on the paperwork.

This doesn't directly answer the question, but CAP's exemptions require a CPL and second class medical for transporting certain non-Air Force and non-CAP personnel or property.

Unless the mission is paid for by a State... then the State's insurance and rules are involved. Each State then is different.

Insurance is complicated in CAP. Missions can be USAF, State, or self-funded. All of which have completely different insurance rules and regulations.

Totally OT for the original post, other than CAP is a non-profit also... But an odd one with a lot of rules depending on who we're flying for.

Back