Medical Certificates and Cancer

CobraDane

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Paul
Hello All,
My father has Stage 4 cancer (It started in his lungs and has spread to various places.) He got his private pilots license in the late 70's and hasn't flown in years.

He has to go to Chicago for treatment and doesn't really like flying commercial and since i have always wanted to get my pilot's license, we are thinking of teaming up to buy a plane, for me to get my license and fly him to cancer treatments and back. He also wants to be able to fly.

If he decides to start flying again, we know he would need training, since its been so long. The question is, with him having cancer, would he be approved for a medical certificate?

As I understand the regs, the answer is no. Sorry...

Nothing will prevent you from getting your license and flying the plane with your Dad as a passenger. But as a freshly minted Private Pilot you may have weather issues if you pursue this option. -Skip

Also, nothing will prevent you from letting your Dad manipulate the controls as long as both of you are comfortable with that and you realize that you will be the PIC. It might be a tall order for a new private pilot and someone who hasn't flown since the 1970s, though.

Thats sort of what I was thinking. He had heard from someone that he couldn't get his medical certificate, but I wanted to double check.

Hello All,
My father has Stage 4 cancer (It started in his lungs and has spread to various places.) He got his private pilots license in the late 70's and hasn't flown in years.

He has to go to Chicago for treatment and doesn't really like flying commercial and since i have always wanted to get my pilot's license, we are thinking of teaming up to buy a plane, for me to get my license and fly him to cancer treatments and back. He also wants to be able to fly.

If he decides to start flying again, we know he would need training, since its been so long. The question is, with him having cancer, would he be approved for a medical certificate?

Most likely reviving a medical for your dad will not happen. For now, he can fly with an instructor, and later when you have your certificate and medical, with you. If he has health enough that his doctor thinks it's ok, and he still holds a driver's license, then he can fly under Sport Pilot rules in applicable airplanes with no medical from the FAA.

Doing time with an instructor would be an excellent thought.
I also quit flying in the late 70s and didn't return until the change in the Millenia.
There have been a LOT of changes to procedures, airspace, and general situations that will be foreign to a "rusty" pilot. Unless he has been keeping track of everything, the new atmosphere is likely to come as a shock to him and the differences would be well worth the time being pointed out by an instructor.

Hello All,

many airmen with cancer can be issued a medical certificate. a cancer in remission is an example but your father is unlikely a candidate now while undergoing active treatment. If he enters 'remission' and is on no medications that are verboten to the FAA then it could be a consideration.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back