Medical cert/DPE checkride

S

Studpi

During a check ride can an examiner ask any question they want about your medical certificate? I have a 6 month limitation on my medical certificate and I was told by an instructor that the dpe is allowed to ask any question if they see that limitation and I would have to answer because it relates to my ability to be qualified to fly. I’d rather not disclose that I’m in the HIMS program and have to talk about my personal medical history even though the examiner might already know that the 6 month limitation means I am in HIMS. I was under the impression that me having the medical is enough and I would just have to present it to show I am qualified and that I would just be asked regulatory questions to test my knowledge on part 67 medical requirements.

He can ask to the extent you need to know it’s not valid for any class after whatever, and what that means.

If a second class, it doesn’t revert to 3/c privileges…

Perhaps generically that if you don’t follow the conditions set forth in your SI that you can’t fly. Shouldn’t have to say what those conditions are.

You don’t have to tell ANYONE you’re in the HIMS program. That’s quite specifically protected by 42cfr part 2.

I’ll go on a limb and say the examiner isn’t going to ask those kinds of questions. What they will ask are the privileges and limitations of that medical and what things you should know while holding it.

Your private medical information is no business of the DPEs. Make sure you understand the limitations of your certificate and your duty to ground yourself in the case of medical deficiency so you can answer general questions about being medically qualified to fly. You should refuse to answer any specific questions about your medical history- all the DPE needs to know is you have a valid medical and you are certifying that you have no medical deficiencies that you are required to ground yourself over.

Similarly if you are on BasicMed, the DPE is not allowed to ask to see your CMEC, and is supposed to refuse to review it even if you offer it.

If he were to ask, just politely tell him you health conditions are confidential.

Your private medical information is no business of the DPEs. Make sure you understand the limitations of your certificate and your duty to ground yourself in the case of medical deficiency so you can answer general questions about being medically qualified to fly. You should refuse to answer any specific questions about your medical history- all the DPE needs to know is you have a valid medical and you are certifying that you have no medical deficiencies that you are required to ground yourself over.

Similarly if you are on BasicMed, the DPE is not allowed to ask to see your CMEC, and is supposed to refuse to review it even if you offer it.
For the BasicMed 8700-2 Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist, the DPE can ask to see the last page with the physician's signature. You are correct that the DPE does not need to see sections 1 and 2.

For the BasicMed 8700-2 Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist, the DPE can ask to see the last page with the physician's signature. You are correct that the DPE does not need to see sections 1 and 2.
I did the ground portion of my flight review on Friday, and my CFI said something similar, although he added that the DPE could quiz the applicant on general requirements to maintain validity of the BasicMed qualification.

I did the ground portion of my flight review on Friday, and my CFI said something similar, although he added that the DPE could quiz the applicant on general requirements to maintain validity of the BasicMed qualification.
Yep, the requirements of 61.23(c)(3) and 61.113(i) are fair game if you show up for a check ride under BasicMed.

Back