Medical Background...Need Help

cpilotw

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
cpilotw
I'm 23 years old and have had my PPL in 2005 with no additional ratings yet received. I received my Second Class medical on 12/2006 (expires 12/2011...correct?). Unfortunately, I have had some medical issues since my last issuance:

First in or around 2007-2008, I was prescribed SSRIs by a rheumatologist for a loosely diagnosis of fibromyalgia (I say "loosely" because I told him I have been experiencing slight, nondebilatating pain in the body and have told him of the situation with my mother (her cancer and death), dealing with Hurricane Katrina, etc. I took the Lexapro for maybe one to two weeks and couldn't deal with the side effects. I went to my primary care doctor who then prescribed me Cymbalta with hope that the medication wouldn't produce the same side effects as Lexapro. In addition, went to another rheumatologist for a second opinion and they still were pushing antidepressants. Unfortunately, all of the antidepressants had the same side effects. I took any and all SSRIs or antidepressants for maybe two weeks. I was also prescribed Celebrex at one point in thinking that would help with the "fibro" pain.

About two years ago, I did research on TMJ and realized that I have many of the symptoms. Sure enough, I went to a local TMJ doctor and was diagnosed and have been undergoing extensive treatment with splint therapy. Not too long ago, I was prescribed Flexeril to take for two weeks (which I took it maybe five times, maybe 10 times total after the two week period for which the doctor wanted me to take it) to help relax the muscles in my jaw. I no longer take this medication. The TMJ doctor believes this could easily cause the pain in my body that my rheumatologists had diagnosed me with fibromyalgia.

I realized I passed the point of amnesty due to my last job in working with the BP Oil Spill (working nearly everyday on odd schedules). I have a few questions about my upcoming medical as I believe it may be a bit of a fight. I cannot remember when I was prescribed these medications (would have to contact the doctors for that), but my logbook shows that I have flown quite a few times in 2007, once in 2008 and 2009, and an unlogged, dual-flight about a year ago (just because I simply forgot).

1) Do I report these medications even though I am no longer taking them? (refering to question 17a on the application)

2) Should I have the doctors who prescribed the Lexapro, Flexeril, and Cymbalta type any required document needed to state that I am capable of operating an aircraft in a safe manner?

3) Also, for Item 18 on the application, do I have to list all the visits in whcih I have received a diagnosis of fibromyalgia, TMJ, etc.? What if another doctor believes I do not have fibromyalgia and thinks the pain in my body is related to my TMJ or gluten sensitivity?

4) More recently and currently, I have been having a tickle in my throat, triggering a cough or the need to cough. My ENT doctor think it's minor and wants to put me on Nexium. From what I understand this is NOT allowed but wants to try it for 2 weeks to see if it cures it. From my research, seems like there are other routes to take other than taking Nexium (which was a quick treatment option for this doctor...apparently he treats all of his patients with this medication)...should I take it knowing it's another obstacle when filing for a new medical or should I look for an alternative? It's not life-threatening or is the symptom adversely affecting my daily life?

5) Are there any documents I need to have ready for my next medical application, given my medical background above?

I'm a bit overwhelmed with this next medical application for some reason. I have no reason to lie to the FAA, and I surely do not intend on doing so.

Thanks for your advice!!

CW

CS, send me an email at aeromedicaldoc @ comcast.net (no spaces, done so autospam doesn't work). Your exposure looks like it was over 6 months and you're in a world of hurt.

I have a document for you I don't want to publish.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back