Media takes on approaches/landing at wrong airport...

So, ~ 0.02 flights/day land at the wrong airport. And, in the US, there are ~ 25,000 flights/day. So, the percent of flights landing at the wrong airport are 0.000082%.

Yeah, often. :rolleyes2:

Heh, I just read that article as well. At least they went though the trouble of doing their own research, it's not every day you see that level of investigative reporting! (sarcasm) :(

I also like that they're reporting on something that (so far) to my knowledge hasn't resulted in a single lost aircraft or fatality. I admit it's only a matter of time before someone runs a 747 off of the end of a runway but, really, as an engineer if I could say that the failure rate of something I designed was only 0.000082% I'd be quite happy with that.

Yea they like to pick out the one airplane that does it and not even take into account the countless other flights that make it to their correct destination every day

Yea they like to pick out the one airplane that does it and not even take into account the countless other flights that make it to their correct destination every day

They've never seen this, or they're just dishonest and won't write a balanced article:

http://planefinder.net/

Dan

And there weren't 150 cases of landing at the wrong airport, that number represents the total which "attempted" to do so. Only 35 of that total actually landed at the wrong airport, the rest discovered their mistake (sometimes as a result of a radio call from someone and sometime the crew simply realized something wasn't right) before landing.

So based on the numbers in the article (29000 flights per day) that's 35 wrong airport landings out of over 200 million flights.

Back