Measuring valve wobble

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I have never done it nor heard any measurements; "the exhaust valve would move 0.005 laterally" or any such details.
Need to learn more.
Without reference to any specific engine.

Thanks. Much larger allowable movement than I'd thought.
So, is anyone doing this for Continentals?
I'm thinking I could mount a dial indicator on a cylinder head and get a measurement without all that monkey motion using a compression plate.

Thanks. Much larger allowable movement than I'd thought.
So, is anyone doing this for Continentals?
I'm thinking I could mount a dial indicator on a cylinder head and get a measurement without all that monkey motion using a compression plate.
Get an old TCM valve cover, cut the top out. weld on a mount for your dial indicator.
But how would you know what is good and what was bad for a TCM valve when they don't post the info ?

Doesn't TCM publish valve stem-to-guide min and max clearances for all engines? I know they're listed in the OH manual for a C145/O300.

Doesn't TCM publish valve stem-to-guide min and max clearances for all engines? I know they're listed in the OH manual for a C145/O300.
The OM gives us the new limits, and service limits for overhauling the engine, not what a inservice allowable would be.

But how would you know what is good and what was bad for a TCM valve when they don't post the info ?
Like most other things I seem to do; make a ton of measurements and establish my own guide!

Back