JeffDG

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
JeffDG
Today:
10593034_766095060095941_5296284714437286370_n.jpg

Oh I can't wait.:rolleyes2: Thanks for the preview.:lol:

That's Alberta for you. Tomorrow, or even today, the sun will come out and it will warm up and that snow will vanish. I lived there for 20 years; within the first seven years we saw snow in every month. Snowed twice in August when we got there. Seven years later it finally snowed in July.

That picture is from the foothills of southwestern Alberta. The storm tracked along the Canada/US border. It would be snowing in Montana, too.

Dan

Last edited:
Ummm if you have that now...my lord Nov and Dec are going to be interesting.

Thanks for the picture,time to start to FLA.

Ummm if you have that now...my lord Nov and Dec are going to be interesting.

Nope. It's not unusual and is not a reliable indicator of the coming winter. It's just Rocky Mountain weather, that's all.

Dan

spring is starting to arrive here. But a couple weeks ago we had this:

Attachments

• aug in tasmania.jpg
    aug in tasmania.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 60
Having lived in Colorado, and now Silicon Valley, I do miss the snow and the mountains. In fact, I want to move back to Colorado sometime next year, although probably not permanently.

I really want to try and be a ski bum for a season up in Summit or Eagle counties, provided it's a good one. I first moved to Colorado in 1992, and got to learn to ski during the AWESOME 92/93 season. I've always wanted to do that again. I'm really hoping the 15/16 season will be a good one.

Did a Labor Day hiking trip out of Banff after a meeting once. Just gave my slides to a friend to mule back to the lab and off I went to the bush. Didn't realize it, but snow was forecast, and the rangers were on strike.

All that said it was fine. The snow was light, I melted some for drinking water, and saw the first ever use of campfires (cut my camping teeth in California). My camp stove was lighter than their axe, but not nearly as warm or as nice as a campfire. Hiked a 14K foot pass and had a great time. Emerged from the bush to get on my airplane feeling very, very unwashed. Kept apologizing to those poor folks crammed in with me on the shuttle bus. Took the back row of the tube and the stew was kind enough to not wrinkle her nose too much.

Cold at night but breathtakingly gorgeous.

Calgary is like Denver, only about 10F cooler year-round. So I'm not surprised by the snow or the warm temperatures later in the week.

My house when I lived in Calgary was at 4,000' MSL, and the river is a heck of a lot lower than that, something like 3,200' MSL or something like that, so you've got a whole lapse-rate thing going on too between different parts of town.

Same with Denver. I live east of town at 6,400'. Centennial Airport is at 5,900' but we all know the Capitol building is 5,280.

Back