Meanwhile at Air India

OK, so maybe a long time ago, in a place like Central America, after about a week in the system: most of the avionics had failed, per usual, including the autopilot. Exhausted crew, and the Loadmaster (who was a PPL) and the Nav might have flown several long legs, off-and-on, over several days, what with us all having the runs, etc. And I did log it.

Did I just read that 2 pilots put 166 passengers lives in danger by taking them to Dehli?

Too soon?!?

This is very disappointing. Just think about those passengers! I mean, who was left to serve them drinks for 40 minutes?

“Minutes after his co-pilot left the cockpit, Captain B K Soni called another flight attendant, Kanika Kala, and asked her to take his seat. Captain Soni did not leave the cockpit immediately; instead, he spent a few minutes teaching the two flight attendants how to operate the aircraft.

He left the cockpit after putting the plane on auto-pilot, leaving the flight attendants to operate the flight by themselves for the next 40 minutes while he and his co-pilot took a nap in business class.”

About 15 years ago I was about #3 in the conga line waiting for takeoff on 1R at KIAD. An Air India 747 was sitting on the runway waiting clearance for takeoff. I had just looked at Air India noticing the flaps and slats were retracted and heard someone key the radio and say "Hey Air India no flaps or slats out". Then out they came. Wonder what other items in the checklist they forgot...

Back