Me Scientist! Me throw stuff at big rock!

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
If you're a science buff you probably already know that NASA has been engaging in a project to smash a valuable camera by throwing it at a rock.

Or rather, to demonstratively test the effect of an impact on a comet by another object.

This is a pretty cool idea - even if it has the opportunity to be the brunt of lots of jokes. :) Deep Impact (not the movie) succeeded last night at approximately 1:35 am EST when the projectile launched at the comet impacted spot on target, to pretty impressive results:

http://deepimpact.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html

Go NASA! HIT THAT ROCK!!!

Yep, they hit it outta the park with that one. The real trick, was hitting it at all. Saw a few pics (AOL said 10,000 gathered in Hawaii to watch it live on a big screen). Still waiting to hear how big a crater they actually accomplished (they were unsure how big it'd be, from house to stadium sized, 2 story to 14 story deep).

Re: Me Scientist! Rear ended by big rock!

Greebo said:
Go NASA! HIT THAT ROCK!!!

Actually the rock hit them, not the other way round. Probe was flying way too slow in the pattern ahead of the 3x9 Heavy...

Impact: approx 05:52 GMT

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/deepimpact/status.html

Nothing quite like getting rear ended by a 3x9 mile mountain at 23,000 mph delta V.

We set the TiVo to record the event. NASA has a thing or two to learn from Broadcast Television... but it was still pretty neat. ;)

I still chuckle at the irony of rocket scientists basically throwing rocks at things. :)

Greebo said:
We set the TiVo to record the event. NASA has a thing or two to learn from Broadcast Television... but it was still pretty neat. ;)

It's about what you're doing, not what you can make it look like.

I have yet to see broadcast television transmit anything near as neat as putting copper blocks in front of speeding mountains.
HDTV + 3D surround sound spewing out sitcoms and pre-recorded laugh tracks has absolutely NOTHING on the super low quality image/sound of July 20 1969.

Greebo said:
I still chuckle at the irony of rocket scientists basically throwing rocks at things. :)

It's a typical physics experiment. Want to learn what something is made of? Blow it up and see what kind of pieces come out of it.

Physics is like using a howitzer to determine what the buildings on campus are. If books come flying out, it's probably the library. If desks and chalk boards, it's probably a classroom. If it's a really big boom and the gas cloud is killing everything it goes past, it's probably the chemistry store room.

Back