ME-262 crash today

Sounds like a two-seater (both made it out safely). I have a bad feeling it is the Collings Foundation bird - it's been flying in the Southwest I think. Damn.

is there more than one? i thought the Collings Foundation 262 was the only one flying

There were some 2-seat replicas made last decade too I believe...

That's not something you read everyday. Glad no one was hurt, a true bummer for the plane however :nonod:

Those are the only ones in existence that fly, so calling the plane an "antique" isn't quite accurate, even if it is TCed as a ME262

Good to hear that - love the "noise media" portraying that as a crash... :yikes:

Those are the only ones in existence that fly, so calling the plane an "antique" isn't quite accurate, even if it is TCed as a ME262

I didn't realize that it had a type certifciate. Does it even hold enough fuel to meet the 30 minute day-VFR reserve requirement?

All of the flying ME262s are two-seaters, built by Classic Fighter Industries in Everett, Washington. The company makes a replacement turtledeck that covers the second seat and puts a small canopy above the pilot's seat, so it's able to look like a single-seater.

IIRC from an EAA presentation here, the "stock" replica has something like a hour or 90 minutes of fuel. However, they can add additional internal tanks easily.

Ron Wanttaja

I didn't realize that it had a type certifciate. Does it even hold enough fuel to meet the 30 minute day-VFR reserve requirement?

IIRC they did, but short of the engines it IS a 262, Messerschmitt even issued them S/Ns

"I would like to take the opportunity to correct some of the information in the press release and add some facts regarding the incident at Midland Airport.

The Me 262 operated by the Collings Foundation was not involved in a crash. The aircraft did not have the rear canopy properly secured by the pilot occupying the rear seat. This was an oversight caused by his closing the canopy early due to wind and cold temperatures while securing himself in the aircraft. Due to the latch not being secured the rear canopy did depart the aircraft on takeoff. The pilot in command aborted the takeoff and the aircraft never left the ground. The aircraft has no damage aside of superficial damage to the canopy and a scratch on the fuselage. Both pilots are uninjured.

Again it is important to stress that this was not a crash, but an incident involving a canopy departing the aircraft while it was still on the ground.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Rob Collings"

I'm sure that the flying Me-262's use engines that are somewhat more reliable than the original Jumos - probably Williams or TF6 or some similar small jet engine - even Spey's =- they'd fit nicely and look good inside the nacelles.

I'm sure that the flying Me-262's use engines that are somewhat more reliable than the original Jumos - probably Williams or TF6 or some similar small jet engine - even Spey's =- they'd fit nicely and look good inside the nacelles.

They are using the GE CJ-610 engines similar to older Learjets.

Where did they mention "crash" in the link you provided?

The second link called it a crash. Guess the spirit of Dan Rather is still with CBS.

Crash at Midland International Airport 4/23/13

messerschmidt.jpg

CBS7 News
4/23/13

MIDLAND- A plan crashed back to the ground after attempting takeoff today at Midland International Airport. The City of Midland issued this release:

No injuries have been reported as a result of an aircraft crash at Midland International Airport Tuesday morning.

Midland Police and Fire Departments responded to the call at 11:11 a.m. and found that a Messerschmitt Me 262 had crashed while attempting to take off. The plane is now off the runway and the sole occupant of the aircraft, the pilot, was said to have received no injuries.

The Federal Aviation Administration has been notified of the crash and will investigate.

That is correct. They couldn't be certificated as I am pretty sure there were no 2 seat Me-262s manufactured during the war.

Actually, I believe there was...a night fighter version, with radar and operator.

Existence wouldn't mean a Type Certificate, of course. The CAA and the German equivalent weren't exactly sharing engineering data, back then.

Ron Wanttaja

That is correct. They couldn't be certificated as I am pretty sure there were no 2 seat Me-262s manufactured during the war.

There were trainers, bombers and night fighters built with two seats.

Heck even one with conventional gear

Check this example out
4qfxik0.jpg

Last edited:
Back