MD-3 Process in 2019?

apr911

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
apr911
Has anyone recently gone through the process of getting a pin for transient/unaffiliated access to the Maryland 3 GA airports inside the DC-FRZ?

I know things have changed quite a bit and you no longer have to present yourself in person at one of the airports and you can go for finger printing with NATACS instead of going to DCA.

The new process is supposed to be easier to complete but it definitely seems more convoluted and harder to understand/follow since none of the forms are updated and each of the 3 airports and the FAA publish their own how to guides on the process that dont agree in all places.

Looking for anyone with recent experience going through this that can help explain/simplify the process.

Has anyone recently gone through the process of getting a pin for transient/unaffiliated access to the Maryland 3 GA airports inside the DC-FRZ?

I know things have changed quite a bit and you no longer have to present yourself in person at one of the airports and you can go for finger printing with NATACS instead of going to DCA.

The new process is supposed to be easier to complete but it definitely seems more convoluted and harder to understand/follow since none of the forms are updated and each of the 3 airports and the FAA publish their own how to guides on the process that dont agree in all places.

Looking for anyone with recent experience going through this that can help explain/simplify the process.
I did it last year. It was pretty easy. You have to first to the DC SFRA online training and print certificate of completion. Keep in logbook at all times. apparently they might look for it in a ramp check.
Then get the application from the site provided above from KCGS. It is worth the call to the FBO there to ask questions to review the process. You will need to get your fingerprints - I did at my local police office and send in.

One thing they are picky about is address and name matching perfectly on All ID’s. Medical PL and DL. I use a different PO Box so this created some havoc for me. Some ID’s allow that and some don’t.
You will need to list one of the DC3 as your “base”. I chose KCGS as that is where I’ll most likely fly. But your not married to that.
Whole process for me only took about two months but was worth it.
The flying part is easy. Can’t do flight plan electronically. Have to call in with your PIN number.

Use CGS - at least one of the other locations have not, at least in the past, secured the forms with all your PII; CGS actually locks them up. Believe it or not, the FAA apparently required the hard-copy documents to be retained at the airport. In the past, with the TSA goat-rope at DCA, TSA also left the forms lying about in the DCA office, including the waiting room. TSA hadn't bothered with OMB approvals, either, a real Larry Lightbulb operation. Hopefully some of that is cleaned up, after some of use pinged elected officials.

Use CGS - at least one of the other locations have not, at least in the past, secured the forms with all your PII; CGS actually locks them up. Believe it or not, the FAA apparently required the hard-copy documents to be retained at the airport. In the past, with the TSA goat-rope at DCA, TSA also left the forms lying about in the DCA office, including the waiting room. TSA hadn't bothered with OMB approvals, either, a real Larry Lightbulb operation. Hopefully some of that is cleaned up, after some of use pinged elected officials.
I agree. They were really helpful. I called a couple of times to make sure I got everything right. Admittedly I was nervous about screwing it up It is in their best interest to get it done right. More business for them. And their 100LL was cheaper then my home base. .

Back