Mayo Clinic Basic Med On-line Course--PIREP

just Bill

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
just Bill
I just completed my Basic Med medical exam with my regular doctor and then completed the Mayo Clinic Basic Med online health course. The online course took about 90 minutes to complete and was divided into six topics. Simple.

The Mayo Clinic course serves the purpose. It was interesting to discover that embedded in the middle of each of the six videos was a green-lettered word that flashed on the screen for a few seconds. You were instructed to write the word down and then enter the word on the computer screen at the end of each video (different word for each video). It's purpose was to ensure the pilot watched the entire video segment. You had to correctly enter the word in order to get credit that you had watched that particular video.

There is a 20 question quiz to complete after watching the six videos. Then you print out the certificate of completion.

The narrator in the videos is certainly not a pilot (no big deal). I noted in one video the narrator referred to the guard freq. as "One twenty-two five" and in another video he said, "...serving as 'pick.'" I'm sure he meant PIC, but pronounced it, "pick."

All in all the entire Basic Med process took me a little less than two and a half hours to complete, including the physical exam and on-line course.

It sure beat the S.I. hoops I've had to jump through over the past few years. Merry Christmas to me.

Heck, I've said "one twenty-two five". But "PICK"?? They need better training, assuming it was a real human and not a computer voice.

I took the AOPA Self-Assessment course and quiz for my BasicMed, but it's nice to know there's another option.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back