Maybe those MT props are not such a bad idea after all….

stratobee

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
stratobee
….in case you happen to realise as you roundout that you forgot to lower the gear in a DA42 (the story goes). Power up and try again. Pilot apparently didn't know he'd shaved both props off - no vibrations, nothing. Allegedly.

Imagine the same scenario with metal props and the outcome would probably not have been as good… My vote goes to wood composite.

Attachments

• prop1.jpg
    prop1.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 131
  • prop2.jpg
    prop2.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 109
That was about a $30,000.00 **** up.

Just the propeller's.

:mad2:

Prior owner of our plane did it with a metal prop. Shaved about 3" off each tip. I saw it after the fact and it looked like someone just took a sander to the tips. Unfortunately the FAA agent on the field wasn't quite as impressed.

Prior owner of our plane did it with a metal prop. Shaved about 3" off each tip. I saw it after the fact and it looked like someone just took a sander to the tips. Unfortunately the FAA agent on the field wasn't quite as impressed.

Yep, they don't want you going around after you ate a set of tips, I had that discussion not long ago.

I know of one who did that some years back and flew 200 miles back to his home base. :hairraise:

Not wise lol. I almost hit the throttles but thought to myself, "No, the only time someone gets hurt on a gear up is when they try something stupid to save damage." Once the prop tips hit, the expensive damage is already done.

I always assumed composite/wood props would shatter on impact with something like tarmac. I don't know why I thought that.

Those are really impressive pics.

How do you not hear and feel two thee-blade props hitting the pavement and being reduced down like that? Or not feel the performance difference?

How do you not hear and feel two thee-blade props hitting the pavement and being reduced down like that? Or not feel the performance difference?

The performance difference may not be as great as you expect, most thrust comes from the inside 1/3rd of the blade.

Back