Maybe this really does lengthen your lifespan

billwil

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Billwil
We all know that stress kills eventually...right? Well I just had to relate my experience today to some people I knew would understand.

Work has been killing me. I'm totally stressed, its near the end of my company's fiscal year, lot's of stuff going on, sales to make, 't''s to cross, etc. I've got some stuff I'm doing outside of work (volunteer and otherwise) that is putting even more pressure on me (inlcuding my podcast...which I love doing, but does stress me out when its been a week or so and I haven't started cutting a new episode). And, of course, I've got my training.

Needless to say, this morning when I got up early and got ready to head to the airport, I had emails waiting, things I had to take care of, and generally was overwhelmed with pressure and stress. I was not in a good way heading to the airport (I also had to replinish the money in my flying account at the FBO today as well...which always adds a little stress :)). I even considered cancelling because of my frame of mind...but I decided that I would block everything out, and just concentrate on flying and learning for an hour, and then get back to everything else.

I've gotta tell you, what an amazing transformation. By the time I got my feet back on the ground and was getting into my car to battle the rest of my day, I was all better. I still had a lot to do, but my frame of mind was completely changed, and everything started falling into place in my mind and I really believe I accomplished more today than I would have had I not flown. I don't know if it was the actual flying, or the fact that I just forgot everything else for 1 hour and concentrated on one thing, or what, but it was a beautiful morning to fly, warm (it is Arizona after all), but not hot, nice calm air, wind calm, and it definately relaxed me to be up there.

I am beginning to believe that flying is actually good for my health...mentally and physically. It reminds me of the "change your latitude" ads, but could be altered to "Change your Altitude". I smell a poscast epidsode coming on. :)

I can't be the only one who's had this happen, right? C'mon...join me and tell your tales...it'll be theraputic.

flying does help me clear my head. The key is to know when there is too much distraction in your life to make not flying a better decision. I for one feel that all is right with the world when I'm done flying.

flying does help me clear my head. The key is to know when there is too much distraction in your life to make not flying a better decision. I for one feel that all is right with the world when I'm done flying.
Years ago, when I was still married, flying was my solace. It was not a good marriage and arguments were frequent.

While many guys head off to the bar and drink away their anger or sorrow, I headed to the airport. There were many late nights I'd be flying over northern Colorado with the stars above and a few lights below. Regardless of how much noise that engine or the wind made and without a headset, it couldn't have been more peaceful in my mind and heart.

My co-workers (non-fliers) don't understand how flying reduces my stress. I guess if you have to explain it, it just won't make sense.:p

My co-workers (non-fliers) don't understand how flying reduces my stress. I guess if you have to explain it, it just won't make sense.:p

Amazingly, my coworkers actually do seem to understand :goofy:. It's true...no matter what the stresses going on at home are, the politics at work or within your industry...pushing the power up and pulling the yoke back makes it all go away. And if you can make a nice landing at the end of it all, double bonus!

Matt just takes out his frustration on unsuspecting passengers. :)

Matt just takes out his frustration on unsuspecting passengers. :)

"You don't like my puny little airplane...you think I'm not the 'real' pilot, only the guy in the left seat is a pilot...you think I might be good enough to go to 'jet training'? Oh you're going to enjoy this ride, I promise! Ever heard of the vomit commit?" :eek::hairraise:

I flew LAX-Dulles-Albany, NY last night, starting with the redeye and finishing up at home close to noon. I was tired and considered cancelling tonight's night lesson.

At 6:00 pm, I was pretty tired and was going to tell the CFI I would not fly solo tonight, which I did do.

2.5 hours later, after night landings, instrument work, unusual attitudes and a little just screwing around, I was far less tired than when I started. :)

Learning to fly is hard, no question about it. But the process is also strangely calming and invigorating, at the same time, especially as you get farther down the line. At least that's how it's been for me.

You're exactly right about the stress. But be sure to go over the IMSAFE mnemonic to make sure you're safe to take to the skies. I remember during my training I decided to take a lesson over my lunch hour. I recall looking at my watch during my lesson, to see when I needed to be back at the office. I then told my instructor that I will never take another lesson during the middle of the work day. I really needed to completely separate myself from work, and couldn't do that knowing I was going back to work after my flight.

I was recently quoted in an article in a local paper, and I mentioned how flying relieved me of the stress of everything going on elsewhere in my life. After reading it, though, I fear I might have sounded like a head case to non pilots who don't understand what flying gives to your life besides transportation. http://www.brookfieldnow.com/story/index.aspx?id=747421

Learning to fly is hard, no question about it. But the process is also strangely calming and invigorating, at the same time, especially as you get farther down the line. At least that's how it's been for me.
Total focus on the task can be liberating in a way. :) Sometimes flying can help put things into a proper perspective.

One day when I had an especially frustrating time at work I stopped at the airport on the way home and dragged the Skyhawk out of the hangar and flew back to the hospital I had just come from. I circled the hospital and thought how small it looked. And I was able to put all those petty issues into a 'small' perspective and arrived at home a happier person.

Total focus on the task can be liberating in a way. :) Sometimes flying can help put things into a proper perspective.

One day when I had an especially frustrating time at work I stopped at the airport on the way home and dragged the Skyhawk out of the hangar and flew back to the hospital I had just come from. I circled the hospital and thought how small it looked. And I was able to put all those petty issues into a 'small' perspective and arrived at home a happier person.

It's so easy to forget that we are but specks on the surface of a small planet orbiting a small star, or that most of the heavy elements in our bodies and the jewelry hanging from it were formed when an old star went supernova.

The atoms in our bodies have been around for a long time and in many other places, far removed from where we are. Humility is a good thing, when considering one's place in the universe. ;)

It's so easy to forget that we are but specks on the surface of a small planet orbiting a small star, or that most of the heavy elements in our bodies and the jewelry hanging from it were formed when an old star went supernova.

The atoms in our bodies have been around for a long time and in many other places, far removed from where we are. Humility is a good thing, when considering one's place in the universe. ;)
Dang! That's pretty good stuff coming from somebody who is not only tired, but old, too. ;) I'm pretty sure that I'm older than you. Older than dirt. :D

Dang! That's pretty good stuff coming from somebody who is not only tired, but old, too. ;) I'm pretty sure that I'm older than you. Older than dirt. :D

LOL... "older than dirt"... now I'm reminded of some old laundry detergent commercial that I think ended with something like "cleaner than dirt!".. but maybe I'm misremembering this one. :D

"misremembering"...what a great word! This is what happens a lot when I go into a room and don't know why I went there. :D

LOL... nah, that's just getting old. :D:D:D
<runs and ducks!>

Bill, I completely agree. Flying is therapeutic. My mentor pilot has a saying, "Hey, flying is cheaper than therapy and it has a better result!"

Bill, that sounds like an experience very similar to one I had a week before I took my checkride and passed. I was highly stressed out with too much to do, and I was going flying to get some practice in for my checkride to make sure everything was good. As soon as the wheels left the pavement, it felt as if a tremendous weight was lifted from my shoulders. A distinct feeling of "I'm up here, they're down there, and they can't get to me up here!" just filled me. I returned to the ground a happier person.

It's important to make time for things we enjoy, especially when our lives are filled with stress. Making sure that it doesn't take over our lives is important, but balance is the key to happiness.

"misremembering"...what a great word! This is what happens a lot when I go into a room and don't know why I went there. :D
The infamous "hereafter" syndrome ... walk into a room and mutter to self "What was I here after?"

Flying really does work that way.. it's amazing.

Even better I have found is sailing, same sort of thing as you are at one with a machine and the weather, but even better because you generally aren't risking your life, and there is no hourly cost of operation.

Really, if you can, you should try it. It's amazing how similar it is to flying. Even the same physics (lift, wing shapes, etc) applied slightly differently. When I was taking sailing lessons early on, I noticed some of the same feelings as my early flying lessons. Pretty cool to get to relive some of that.

Hmm, I have done a wee bit of sailing many years ago...it was enjoyable. I get my one of my "other" peace fixes from Scuba Diving...now that I think about it...its not all that different from flying...just a little less noise (although, contrary to what most people think, definately not silent). :) Still soaring around and looking down around you, and seeing a perspective most people never will. It's all starting to make since, now.

Flying really does work that way.. it's amazing.

Even better I have found is sailing, same sort of thing as you are at one with a machine and the weather, but even better because you generally aren't risking your life, and there is no hourly cost of operation.

Motorcycling did that for me during the "Kids are all home and cost a fortune" stage.

But once I got back in the air....

Nothing is the same as Flying.

Another thing I've noticed - I usually drive pretty fast (I'd hate to waste that turbo in my car, ya know!) and I'm in "get there" mode. After I get done flying, the aggression and speed-lust is completely gone from my driving. That internal smile gets turned on, all is right with the world, and I just enjoy my leisurely drive. :)

Another thing I've noticed - I usually drive pretty fast (I'd hate to waste that turbo in my car, ya know!) and I'm in "get there" mode...

Always remember: MORE BOOST!!! :yes:

Since I started flying, I notice I get better gas mileage with the Jag... you can draw the conclusions you want from that. :D

Another thing I've noticed - I usually drive pretty fast (I'd hate to waste that turbo in my car, ya know!) and I'm in "get there" mode. After I get done flying, the aggression and speed-lust is completely gone from my driving. That internal smile gets turned on, all is right with the world, and I just enjoy my leisurely drive. :)

Ya...I've noticed this, too. I've got a supercharged mini cooper S, and I drive like an old lady coming home from the airport. Since I've started flight training, my average MPG has gone from about 25 to about 27.5. I didn't put the two together until you mentioned this...I just thought my engine was really getting broken in (after 18 months), and getting more efficient...either that or tailwinds. :yes:

When I drive the M-Roadster home I still like to gun it for the massive acceleration. It makes me smile until I try and pull back on the steering column and nothing happens, I still stay on the ground.

Back