maybe I'm crazy.....

korben88

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Troy
..... but isn't saying that I posses a current pilot certificate and identifying myself as a pilot pretty much the same damn thing?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    14.1 KB · Views: 140
Maybe I'm crazy, but I've never told AFSS I'm a pilot, and they don't seem to care at all, even when filing an IFR flight plan. One would think it's obvious.

I've never told anyone giving me a wx brief that I am indeed a pilot. I just figured that it is assumed.

Of all the times I've gotten a brief from FS they have never asked nor have I told them. Chances are a non-pilot wouldn't know what to ask for anyway.

I didn't think it was a requirement to be a pilot to call for a briefing. When you're a student you call FSS with a student cert. Wonder which regs states this requirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was taught to identify myself as a pilot as a lot of others like famers and other industries can use the briefing service as well.

I was taught to identify myself as a pilot as a lot of others like famers and other industries can use the briefing service as well.

If I recall, that was one of the questions on the private pilot written and the answer was, "identify yourself as a pilot." But I've only talked to a flight service station twice. Once when I was in training and had to file a flight plan (they didn't ask and I didn't tell) and the other over the radio when the DPE made me call them for weather on my check ride. (again, they didn't ask and I didn't tell. Since I was in flight I guess they assumed)

..... but isn't saying that I posses a current pilot certificate and identifying myself as a pilot pretty much the same damn thing?
Not necessarily.

Student pilots have certificates.

And weather briefings are sometimes acquired by dispatch personnel.

But honestly, no one cares.

Yeah but are they WAAS-equipped GPS IFR capable units... or for VFR corn rowing situational awareness only?

I was made to call before every lesson. Since we're in the DC SFRA it flows off the tongue easy to say "vfr/ifr pilot familiar with the DC SFRA rules and procedures looking for for wx brief for....." and go into all the info they need.

I was taught to introduce myself as "Pilot of Bugdestroyer 666, requesting ....." I don't know if there was reg involved but saying "Hi, it's Rolivi" didn't make sense.

Also, if anything goes wrong I think they check for the briefing by tail number.

Welcome to the hell of retarded questions with even more retarded answers.
The FAA knows about it (finally!) and is very SLOWLY trying to rectify the situation.
It will get better, one day. Keep your fingers crossed.
And in the meantime, memorize as many retarded answers as you can.
Good luck on your test!

I used to call for briefings all the time before I was a pilot. They were great when the weather was iffy and I had a big concrete pour planned.

Is it going to start raining at 11am or 4pm? Makes a big difference when you have mud on the ground curing.

Or at least trying to cure.

The OP is focusing on the wrong part of the answer. The part in green is all you need to know. If you see that answer or the answer to a similar question which is "identify yourself as a pilot" then that's all you need to know. Getting wrapped up in the minutia of the question will drive you nuts. I still have one that has haunted me since the test. Its the question that displays four VORs and you are to determine where you are based on the display. I got it wrong on the pre-tests. Rated pilots have got it wrong when I asked them what they thought and I missed it again on the actual test. To this day I can never figure out why my answer was wrong.

Yep, the briefing is completely different if you say you're going to fly IFR. Let 'em know you're VFR. That's what counts here.

Yep, the briefing is completely different if you say you're going to fly IFR. Let 'em know you're VFR. That's what counts here.
Hmm, I haven't noticed. I even got "VFR not recommended" when briefing an IFR flight once.

I was trained to identify myself as an engineer, then state that I'm obviously not something else, as in,
"I'm an engineer, not a brain surgeon."

I was trained to identify myself as an engineer, then state that I'm obviously not something else, as in,
"I'm an engineer, not a brain surgeon."

They still make you guys wear overalls and a hat that looks as if it was made from an old pillow case?

@korben88, that's frustrating.

One way to think of it is: there are often two right answers - but one is *more* right.

In this case, it's more important for the briefer to know if you're VFR/IFR than it is to know you're a pilot.

There are scads of questions like this on the test. Pick the most right and usually you'll be okay.

There are scads of questions like this on the test. Pick the most right and usually you'll be okay.
Sadly, there are also some questions where there is NO right answer, not even one that is more right than the others. I encountered one about currency on the IR written where all of the answers were either impossible to decipher because of unclear wording (e.g. "the required repetitions and iterations") or were clearly wrong. The test bank needs a thorough going-over, but it's also possible that questions like that are in there by design.

When I learned to contact FSS for a briefing, I was taught to call and identify myself as aircraft N1234, looking for a VFR/IFR briefing for XXX area or route of flight. It's served me well over the last 22 years.

One way to think of it is: there are often two right answers - but one is *more* right.
I remember being bitten by those in my practice tests.
I read the question, I know the answer, I read answer A and see that it is correct so I circle it an move on.
My mistake! I was supposed to read B and C and pick one that is "more correct" or even better, "most correct". *sigh*
Tricking students with poorly worded questions and answers is not a good way to make friends ... or to make good pilots.

Tricking students with poorly worded questions and answers is not a good way to make friends ... or to make good pilots.

What, you mean to say that the point of horrible wording isn't to make potential pilots exhibit "good ADM" by forcing them to choose the "most" correct response under pressure?! :lol:

What, you mean to say that the point of horrible wording isn't to make potential pilots exhibit "good ADM" by forcing them to choose the "most" correct response under pressure?! :lol:
You know, it is funny, I thought the same thing as I clicked the Post Reply button.
Maybe they are trying to make us better pilots to consider and weigh ALL the options. :D

Back