Maybe I’m Overthinking this but…

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
Maybe Overthinking this but… I have a transfer tank in the back of my pick up that I used to haul Av gas from nearby airport to my hanger. I was thinking about cleaning it out and putting in unleaded auto fuel. Knowing that the leaded av gas will mess up my catalytic converter in the car. How do I know that I have the tank sufficiently clean before I start running it in my cars?

Last edited:
I would think that yes, you're overthinking this. Drain it as best you can, fill with auto fuel ...

I would think that yes, you're overthinking this. Drain it as best you can, fill with auto fuel ...
Yeah, I can’t imagine whatever trace amounts of AvGas that are left over, would pose any major issue.

Maybe Overthinking this but… I have a transfer tank in the back of my pick up that I used to haul Av gas from nearby airport to my hanger. I was thinking about cleaning it out and putting in unleaded auto fuel. Knowing that the leaded av gas will mess up my catalytic converter in the car. How do I know that I have the tank sufficiently clean before I start running it in my cars?

Agree with the other posters, a little left over 100LL mixed with unlleaded is not going to hurt your car.

I am in the fuel business and have had a transfer tank also in my truck bed since 1989. I have used it for unleaded gas, diesel fuel, then unleaded gas and now currently I have 100LL in it.
IMG_0767.JPG

If you want to be extra cautious, drain and let the residual wetness evaporate, then fill with your fuel of choice.

If you want to be extra cautious, drain and let the residual wetness evaporate, then fill with your fuel of choice.
My tank does have drain plug on both sides. I have drained it over the years a few times to check for rust. I have found very little rust in it since I keep it sealed from the atmosphere to keep the water out. Another trick I have done is tossed a magnet inside the steel tank. It was custom made for me by the local welding shop out of 11 ga . It has stood up to the test of time.
He really does not need to drain his tank if there is no more than 1-2" at the bottom of 100LL, imo. Also depends on the capacity of the tank.

Last edited:
TEL isn't all that volatile; most will be left behind when the residual gas evaporates. And it doesn't take much to poison a catalytic converter.

Not saying the plan won't work, but I'd be as diligent as possible about getting the avgas out of the tank before filling with auto fuel.

Actually, I wouldn’t worry about the cat as much as O2 sensors.

Back