Maybe EdFred is right

ron22

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Ron Hammer
I have been in the St Louis MO area for 3 miserable days. It has been hot and humid.
So someone tell me why we are going to Gastons this time of the year again.
That is right I just want to see all you wonderfull people again:D
Not to mention my 2-3 day job turned into a 4-5 day job. In the unairconditioned plant.
So my plans on leaving Thur morning have now changed to leaving Fri at 5:00. Good thing it is only 150 miles away.
Plus I get to update my map if I can figure it out again

The heat of Gastons is what makes it so fun. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Those of us with kids have to work around SUMMERTIME vacation schedules...

...and, the heat is a right of passage, part of the Gaston's tradition! (When we get "old enough", we can do the fall Gaston's trip; heehee :) )

Of course, as I've said before, for a lot of us coming from the south, going to Gaston's IS a trip up to the cool north!

Those of us with kids have to work around SUMMERTIME vacation schedules...

...and, the heat is a right of passage, part of the Gaston's tradition! (When we get "old enough", we can do the fall Gaston's trip; heehee :) )

Of course, as I've said before, for a lot of us coming from the south, going to Gaston's IS a trip up to the cool north!

We took a family vacation for 1-2 weeks every year in the fall. I don't get the big deal of pulling kids out of school for 2 days. We'd be gone for 5-10 consecutive days of school.

We took a family vacation for 1-2 weeks every year in the fall. I don't get the big deal of pulling kids out of school for 2 days. We'd be gone for 5-10 consecutive days of school.

It's a different world now, Ed.

Last year, I had my goddaughters staying with me during a school recess. The older one came down with a nasty stomach bug the day before I was going to take them home. I took her to the pediatrician, and he said basically to keep her hydrated on Gatorade and let it pass, which would take about three or four days. He also gave me a note for the school.

Later that day, the younger one came down with the same thing, so I called the doc again. He told me not to waste my money (I self-pay for any needed doctor visits while they're here). Same bug, same prescription. But I didn't think to get another note.

Not wanting to take two puking, pooping kids on a nearly three-hour ride, I kept them with me for another couple of days until those particular symptoms passed. When they finally went back to school, their mom brought the note, explained the situation, and didn't think about it again.

Until the cop arrived at her door with the summons. There was no note for the little one, remember?

In the end, it all got sorted out. But the point is that if your kids miss a few days of school nowadays, it's a major big deal that may, in fact, wind up in court.

-Rich

It's a different world now, Ed.

Last year, I had my goddaughters staying with me during a school recess. The older one came down with a nasty stomach bug the day before I was going to take them home. I took her to the pediatrician, and he said basically to keep her hydrated on Gatorade and let it pass, which would take about three or four days. He also gave me a note for the school.

Later that day, the younger one came down with the same thing, so I called the doc again. He told me not to waste my money (I self-pay for any needed doctor visits while they're here). Same bug, same prescription. But I didn't think to get another note.

Not wanting to take two puking, pooping kids on a nearly three-hour ride, I kept them with me for another couple of days until those particular symptoms passed. When they finally went back to school, their mom brought the note, explained the situation, and didn't think about it again.

Until the cop arrived at her door with the summons. There was no note for the little one, remember?

In the end, it all got sorted out. But the point is that if your kids miss a few days of school nowadays, it's a major big deal that may, in fact, wind up in court.

-Rich

A summons? For what?

A summons? For what?

For child neglect, as evidenced by the child missing school for three days without a doctor's note.

Like I said, it all got sorted out in the end. But nowadays, you can't just pull your kids out of school for a few days like when we were kids.

-Rich

For child neglect, as evidenced by the child missing school for three days without a doctor's note.

Like I said, it all got sorted out in the end. But nowadays, you can't just pull your kids out of school for a few days like when we were kids.

-Rich

Wow. Just wow. If that happened to me, my kids would be pulled out of school permanently.

I'm trying to raise the cash to send them to the parochial school. But it ain't cheap, and business hasn't been great the past two years.

-Rich

Oh, but to address the title of the thread....there ain't no maybe about it.

Yes, yes, I know, double negative, blahbedy blahbedy blah....

I'm trying to raise the cash to send them to the parochial school. But it ain't cheap, and business hasn't been great the past two years.

-Rich

We went homeschool.
By the time my wife could find a job that paid anything, she'd be gone all the time anyway just to pay for a private school, only to have to pay for "after school care" till she could go get the. And god forbid you should be late for pickup. It's well over $100/hour for being late to pick up them little ones. In Atlanta, traffic dictates you will be late some of the time. Public schools? Here? No thanks.
The kids are doing just fine, and the much asked about "socialization" with other kids has not been an issue at all.

Having watched friends and now kids do the homeschool thing, it's amazing how much less time is required to cover the same material when the student-teacher ratio is 2:1 or less. Even with two different grades, they easily exceed (by about 2X best I can tell) the stuff that's taught at private school, and in less than half the time. I think the primary difference is the regimentation and associated busy-work the teachers throw at them because it's less work for the teachers.

Oldest grandson finally went to "real" school for highschool and came home madder than hell about the teacher wasting his time making posters of something when the picture in the book was already done and much better than whatever they could produce with home-made materials.

We went homeschool.
By the time my wife could find a job that paid anything, she'd be gone all the time anyway just to pay for a private school, only to have to pay for "after school care" till she could go get the. And god forbid you should be late for pickup. It's well over $100/hour for being late to pick up them little ones. In Atlanta, traffic dictates you will be late some of the time. Public schools? Here? No thanks.
The kids are doing just fine, and the much asked about "socialization" with other kids has not been an issue at all.

Oh, but to address the title of the thread....there ain't no maybe about it.

Yes, yes, I know, double negative, blahbedy blahbedy blah....

Rachel came home yesterday and said "Man.. I have been sweating ALL day!" I said "What have you been doing!?" She said "NOTHING.. Just living in Georgia!" :D

I had to inform her that we haven't even gotten to the 'humid hot' yet - we're just getting into the 'hot hot' part of summer. :cool2:

Rachel came home yesterday and said "Man.. I have been sweating ALL day!" I said "What have you been doing!?" She said "NOTHING.. Just living in Georgia!" :D

I had to inform her that we haven't even gotten to the 'humid hot' yet - we're just getting into the 'hot hot' part of summer. :cool2:

When summer gets here she'll have to chew the air before she can breathe it. "It's not the heat.... it's the humidity..."B)
Be sure to put a link to the Iowa weather on the desktop of whatever computer she uses next winter too!

Be sure to put a link to the Iowa weather on the desktop of whatever computer she uses next winter too!

Yup! When we were able to put the top down in APRIL this year, she was immediately hooked on 'being hot is better than being cold' mentality that I've been preaching - think about it... if you're cold, you have to put more clothes ON to get warm... if you're hot, you have to take clothes OFF to stay cool... Seems like a good arrangement to me! :D :devil:

... if you're hot, you have to take clothes OFF to stay cool... Seems like a good arrangement to me! :D :devil:

Depends on where you live. Around here, I'd much rather have people covering up.

You need to come south more often. ;)

Speaking of that, I'll be in Jonesboro this Sat and Sunday about 10 miles from you. The kids are doing a long course swim meet at the aquatic center behind the "Law Enforcement/Justice Center" (AKA the Jail) on Tara Blvd. If you think you might be up for a burger or Subway sandwich shoot me a PM.

Speaking of that, I'll be in Jonesboro

Sorry to hear that. ;)

this Sat and Sunday about 10 miles from you. The kids are doing a long course swim meet at the aquatic center behind the "Law Enforcement/Justice Center" (AKA the Jail) on Tara Blvd. If you think you might be up for a burger or Subway sandwich shoot me a PM.

I'm going fishing down at West Point Lake early on Saturday and we're flying to Alabama Saturday evening. Depends on how good the fishing is what time I get back. ;) I'll shoot you a PM if it's an early day back from the lake. :thumbsup:

Back