Maybe an option?

Rudy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rudy
As most of you know, I am completely in love with flying and every single aspect of the aviation world. My ultimate goal is to be successful in an aviation career. I was looking at some things today and I thought it might not be a bad idea for me to get a Flight Engineer's license. I think...(not exactly sure) that a Flight Engineer is where you start out on most big jobs, and as I understand you are promoted.
I was reading that you can take the test at 19(my age) but can't hold the certificate until the age of 21. Does this mean I take every part of it or just a written?

I figured this would be a good place to ask......
Is this a reasonable idea?
What does the license consist of?
How do I even start at getting one?

Any suggestions or information would be great.
Thanks,

Rudy said:
As most of you know, I am completely in love with flying and every single aspect of the aviation world. My ultimate goal is to be successful in an aviation career. I was looking at some things today and I thought it might not be a bad idea for me to get a Flight Engineer's license. I think...(not exactly sure) that a Flight Engineer is where you start out on most big jobs, and as I understand you are promoted.
I was reading that you can take the test at 19(my age) but can't hold the certificate until the age of 21. Does this mean I take every part of it or just a written?

I figured this would be a good place to ask......
Is this a reasonable idea?
What does the license consist of?
How do I even start at getting one?

Any suggestions or information would be great.
Thanks,
Rudy, there's aren't a lot of aircraft flying that require an FE anymore- just some 727s and very few of them. My ERAU former mentee now an United Express Right seat skipper became a dispatcher (ATP written, same test) to earn some bucks prior to her real hire. Very smart lady.

bbchien said:
Rudy, there's aren't a lot of aircraft flying that require an FE anymore- just some 727s and very few of them. My ERAU former mentee now an United Express Right seat skipper became a dispatcher (ATP written, same test) to earn some bucks prior to her real hire. Very smart lady.
Ok Thanks Dr. Bruce!
I will look into that!

Rudy: I knew some flight engineers the worked for ATA a few years ago. When ATA got rid of its 727s they offered them the opportunity to become FOs and paid for them to get their tickets one or two were CFIs where I learned to fly. Another flies for a cargo arline also on a 727. I think is right with regard to this issue.

AdamZ said:
Rudy: I knew some flight engineers the worked for ATA a few years ago. When ATA got rid of its 727s they offered them the opportunity to become FOs and paid for them to get their tickets one or two were CFIs where I learned to fly. Another flies for a cargo arline also on a 727. I think is right with regard to this issue.
Thanks for the information Adam!

As I look into, either this or a dispatcher as Dr. Bruce said, i am wondering where i can find the information that i would need to know to pass such tests. I can't really find anything but then again im not real sure what to look for.

Rudy I know zip about the industry (maybe we could direct you to someone who does, Greg for sure, others?) anyway, I would think time spent achieving FE might distract you from other endeavors that are more likely to make you much more desirable to the Personnel Dept. of various airlines.

In fact, I think you would do well to get some guidance from people in the hiring end of the industry, find out what they want and will need in 5-10 years and plan your approach to work and schooling so that you have the best chance possible.

Last edited:
Let'sgoflying! said:
Rudy I know zip about the industry (maybe we could direct you to someone who does, Greg for sure, others?) anyway, I would think time spent achieving FE might distract you from other endeavors that are more likely to make you much more desirable to the Personnel Dept. of various airlines.

In fact, I think you would do well to get some guidance from people in the hiring end of the industry, find out what they want and will need in 5-10 years and plan your approach to work and schooling so that you have the best chance possible.
Great advive Dave, I have been thinking about doing just that. I was thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to get in touch with the companies, maybe write a letter or something explaining my position.

All this support is great! I really appreciate you guys

I will be visiting a SW Chief pilot this weekend Rudy, and will ask some q's for you.

Let'sgoflying! said:
I will be visiting a SW Chief pilot this weekend Rudy, and will ask some q's for you.
That would be awesome of you!

Thanks a million,

Rudy~
I've been following your progress the past year with a big smile on my face, 'cause you remind me of a lot of the other go-getter types I've known over the years - in aviation and lots of other industries as well...

Remember, this is an ol *art talking here, and not a professional pilot, just one who loves flying and watching a lot of you young guys try to figure out what is essentially a pretty tough industry to break into.

Some thoughts:
Get a degree; a 4 year one, not an AA. The airlines can and will use the degree as a "sorting tool" while looking through application piles. Doesn't really matter what the degree is in, either. Pick a field that will allow you to get meaningful employment during the inevitable times when the airline industry is having hard times.

Find a Mentor. Watching 4 or 5 fellows work their way up from CFI into the cockpit of jets, the ones who have advanced quickest are those who have someone in their corner, giving advice, introductions to the right people, etc. All of the guys are excellent "sticks" in their own right, but having someone to grease the skids for you goes a long way to advancement. "Networking" works! You have a good start on that right here on the forum.

Keep on asking questions! You are headed in the right direction already, and as long as you keep doing what has worked for you this far, you will do great

n741dm said:
Rudy~
I've been following your progress the past year with a big smile on my face, 'cause you remind me of a lot of the other go-getter types I've known over the years - in aviation and lots of other industries as well...

Remember, this is an ol *art talking here, and not a professional pilot, just one who loves flying and watching a lot of you young guys try to figure out what is essentially a pretty tough industry to break into.

Some thoughts:
Get a degree; a 4 year one, not an AA. The airlines can and will use the degree as a "sorting tool" while looking through application piles. Doesn't really matter what the degree is in, either. Pick a field that will allow you to get meaningful employment during the inevitable times when the airline industry is having hard times.

Find a Mentor. Watching 4 or 5 fellows work their way up from CFI into the cockpit of jets, the ones who have advanced quickest are those who have someone in their corner, giving advice, introductions to the right people, etc. All of the guys are excellent "sticks" in their own right, but having someone to grease the skids for you goes a long way to advancement. "Networking" works! You have a good start on that right here on the forum.

Keep on asking questions! You are headed in the right direction already, and as long as you keep doing what has worked for you this far, you will do great
I realize it is a very tough industry to get into!!
I am currently enrolled at Pittsburg State University and I am working towards a degree in Business Management. You are absolutely right that a degree is necessary, I need something to fall back on if everything doesn't work out the way I have planned.
As a mentor I have my Grandpa who has been a pilot for 40+ years,and he is the DE in our local area.
Still I would love to have someone to talk to who knows what it is like to go through the process of getting into the "majors"

I am absolutely blessed to have people on this board like you and others who answer my questions and give me advice that will ultimately help me achieve my dream of becoming a professional pilot.

Thanks for the words of wisdom,

Rudy said:
snip... I need something to fall back on if everything doesn't work out the way I have planned.

Be sure you have a plan for after you're done flying. Right now, the aviation industry isn't too kind to retirees. The executive greed of the 1990s will take a very long time to fix.

Rudy,

Don't bother with the FE rating. At best, you may consider taking the written. FEs are a dying breed. I know UAL does not have any. SWA and JetBlue don't have any. If American and Northwest have any, they are very few. Any airline that has them, if they are hiring, will want you to have the writtens, but they will train you for the rating. But by the time you are ready, chances are all the airplanes that require them will be mothballed.

Dispatcher is another story. I can't tell you anything about that, because I don't know. But what I think I know is that the 121 ATP, FE and Dispatcher written are all the same. One study guide, and you can take all three.

Greg Bockelman said:
Rudy,

Don't bother with the FE rating. At best, you may consider taking the written. FEs are a dying breed. I know UAL does not have any. SWA and JetBlue don't have any. If American and Northwest have any, they are very few. Any airline that has them, if they are hiring, will want you to have the writtens, but they will train you for the rating. But by the time you are ready, chances are all the airplanes that require them will be mothballed.

Dispatcher is another story. I can't tell you anything about that, because I don't know. But what I think I know is that the 121 ATP, FE and Dispatcher written are all the same. One study guide, and you can take all three.
Ok thanks Greg!

Rudy;

When I got my commercial at 18 many years ago I was told that the airlines would take a commercial pilot and then train them as FE and also pay for the Instrument rating. A friend of mind did this with Eastern. He flew on Connies on the Shuttle in the ealry 60's. Fortunately he was also newly minted A&P. I was so eager to look at it and found that the flight dispatcher was a place that I could maybe get in. I did begin the process but a war came along and I had to put that goal aside. I would look at the flight dispatcher for that is where you will learn so much. Weather, Weight and Balance, Fuel Requirements, TO and landing requirements the list goes on and on. By the time you move along you will know a lot more for the flight dispatchers are the folks that help the crew plan their routings and all the things that make for a safe flight.

Take the path that suits you and let us know how you are doing. I always enjoy your experiences and gosh you have a great mentor to teach you.

John

John J said:
Rudy;

When I got my commercial at 18 many years ago I was told that the airlines would take a commercial pilot and then train them as FE and also pay for the Instrument rating. A friend of mind did this with Eastern. He flew on Connies on the Shuttle in the ealry 60's. Fortunately he was also newly minted A&P. I was so eager to look at it and found that the flight dispatcher was a place that I could maybe get in. I did begin the process but a war came along and I had to put that goal aside. I would look at the flight dispatcher for that is where you will learn so much. Weather, Weight and Balance, Fuel Requirements, TO and landing requirements the list goes on and on. By the time you move along you will know a lot more for the flight dispatchers are the folks that help the crew plan their routings and all the things that make for a safe flight.

Take the path that suits you and let us know how you are doing. I always enjoy your experiences and gosh you have a great mentor to teach you.

John
I will be sure to keep everyone updated! Thanks for the advice!

If you do the dispatcher route and want to stay close to home. We do hire dispatchers for the airline and they also dispactch the Lears. They do hire from within for the lears. Our last co-pilot was a dispatcher for us.

I think the hardest part is getting the hours and rating up while working a full time job. I did it so it can be done. Just you have to pour your heart and soul into it. It can also be done just as fast as dedicating your day to it like some schools. One year, I received my instrument, commercial and CFI while holding a full time job.

Good luck in which route you decide to take. We all look forward to watching you jump feet first into Aviation.

Brent Bradford

P.s. you idea of a fall back into aviation is a good one. (ex network engineer, and Computer Science major guy). :)

I'd say go ahead and do the FE written. I wouldn't bother with the certification. The written might turn up to help you later; when I was trying to apply for type rating scholarships a few years back amost half of them wanted an FE written. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have it.

Stacey

Brent Bradford said:
If you do the dispatcher route and want to stay close to home. We do hire dispatchers for the airline and they also dispactch the Lears. They do hire from within for the lears. Our last co-pilot was a dispatcher for us.

I think the hardest part is getting the hours and rating up while working a full time job. I did it so it can be done. Just you have to pour your heart and soul into it. It can also be done just as fast as dedicating your day to it like some schools. One year, I received my instrument, commercial and CFI while holding a full time job.

Good luck in which route you decide to take. We all look forward to watching you jump feet first into Aviation.

Brent Bradford

P.s. you idea of a fall back into aviation is a good one. (ex network engineer, and Computer Science major guy). :)
That sounds pretty good Brent.
By the way we need to meet for a cheeseburger or something at Grand Lake regional sometime!
Maybe you would like to fly low and slow a little?

Rudy said:
That sounds pretty good Brent.
By the way we need to meet for a cheeseburger or something at Grand Lake regional sometime!
Maybe you would like to fly low and slow a little?

I love to fly low and slow! That reminds me that I need to check on our company 172XP and see how it's doing. They were updating some of the radios last week, I heard.

I look forward to meeting!

Brent

Brent Bradford said:
I love to fly low and slow! That reminds me that I need to check on our company 172XP and see how it's doing. They were updating some of the radios last week, I heard.

I look forward to meeting!

Brent
Sounds like something we should plan out! I am free most weekends, so you let me know what would be a good day for you and we can go from there!

Here is an update!!!

I just ordered the ASA dispatcher study guide! I will get it in a few days and start looking it over, and over and over! haah

Back