May I fly in IMC in an IFR capable LSA?

Caspar

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Caspar
My question is, may I fly in IMC in an IFR capable LSA?

maybe. if you are at least a private pilot with an instrument rating you can IF the aircraft is equipped and is allow by the manufacture of the aircraft. this is a clip from AOPA.

Can I fly a special light-sport aircraft (S-LSA) in IFR conditions or at night?

Only day/VFR conditions are specifically addressed in the ASTM consensus standards that govern the design, safety, and production of S-LSA. Being that sport pilots and those exercising sport pilot privileges are limited to flying only in day/VFR conditions, this seems appropriate.

On the other hand, if an appropriately rated pilot (example: private pilot with an instrument rating) wants to fly S-LSA under IFR or at night, the aircraft's operating limitations must allow it, and the aircraft must be equipped per 91.205 for VFR flight at night and/or IFR flight. Additionally, 91.327(d) requires all S-LSA to be operated in accordance with the aircraft's operating instructions. Operating instructions differ from operating limitations in that the engine, airframe, and accessory manufacturers issue them; the FAA issues operating limitations.

If you are appropriately rated and would like to operate a special light-sport aircraft at night or under IFR, contact the manufacturer to determine if any provisions can be made.

The real question is are there any IFR capable LSA’s? Especially S-LSA.

The real question is are there any IFR capable LSA’s? Especially S-LSA.
Lots of the standard airworthiness LSA-qualified things are legal to fly IFR (when appropriately equipped) as are some of the experimentals. Whether, it's going to be a fun platform to fly IFR in may be another story.
I don't know if there are any S-LSAs.

Back