May have found a glider -sailplane

saddletramp

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saddletramp
I've posted on here several times the difficulties I've had in finding a decent two-place glider. I've decided to start a soaring school & give scenic rides here in my wonderful city.

I owned such an operation in the early 90's and had a blast. It was part of the FBO I owned at the time.

After operating a Blanik L-23 in my previous operation that was the glider of choice. The problem is...there are only 91 registered in the US. Pretty slim pickin's. They don't manufacture Blaniks anymore & a new German trainer was going to cost me around $140,000.00! 15 month waiting period on top of that.

After posting everywhere I could think of & networking with anyone that responded I believe I've found my glider. It hasn't been advertised for sale yet so I lucked out & got ahold of the outfit selling it before they listed it. So far it appears perfect at least from 2,500 miles away. I plan to fly to the east coast & checking out in the next few weeks. With me luck.

Thanks for all those that helped from POA!

Is there a difference between a glider and sailplane?

Is there a difference between a glider and sailplane?
Yup!

To a true sailplane pilot it's a sailplane. To a "power" pilot it's a glider. A glider goes up & comes down. A sailplane can stay aloft for hours & cover hundreds of miles.

I think the major difference is the size of the pilots ego. What type are you looking into? Grob 103s are a good choice.

I thought the difference was a couple of zeros?
Gliders have less, sailplanes more

Well, Friday morning I fly to New York from Washington state to look at the Blanik L-23 I put a deposit on. It only has 1800TT so all should be good.
A guy has to be nuts to fly across the country to look at a glider in the middle of winter!

Well, Friday morning I fly to New York from Washington state to look at the Blanik L-23 I put a deposit on. It only has 1800TT so all should be good.
A guy has to be nuts to fly across the country to look at a glider in the middle of winter!

No. But you would be nuts to fly it back :D

That's the only time to go. Why would you want to go in the middle of flying season ?

Congratulations !

Does it come with a trailer ?

You know, I wonder what it'd take to start up a company here in the US making L-13s and L-23s again.

Yup, fully enclosed clam-shell. The club I'm buying it from even packed the wheel bearings and put new tires on the trailer.

:thumbsup:

Now what would be crazy is to drag the thing across the country through the blizzard.

How are you going to tow it home ? 16ft Penske ?

I"m in the farm machinery business & ship equipment all over the world. I plan to use my contacts to get it hauled to me in a semi. It can even go on a flatbed.

So far, that method appears to be the lest expensive way.

I"m in the farm machinery business & ship equipment all over the world. I plan to use my contacts to get it hauled to me in a semi. It can even go on a flatbed.

So far, that method appears to be the lest expensive way.

That should work. A lot of people will scratch their head with a flatbed carrying a single lightweight trailer going down I94.

Back