May be Totaled

silver-eagle

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
~John
It wasn't me nor my plane but there was an event at the local airport where a taxiing Warrior struck a parked SUV. According to the details I heard, the plane struck the rear of the SUV, rode up and over, and stopped just past. Details from the airport manager said the repair estimate is currently $40,000 and may still rise. Wing is dented. Spar is bent. Fuselage bent up. They don't have the wing off yet so additional damage may show up.
May also be totaled.
So what's the lesson? Back when I started flying, the instructor told me two things. Keep your speed down to a fast walk. Keep your head OUTSIDE. Apparently neither were done.
The owner is out of a plane and the school is down another plane, and the community of Warriors are down one more.

Why was an SUV parked where a warrior was taxiing?

Tim

It wasn't me nor my plane but there was an event at the local airport where a taxiing Warrior struck a parked SUV. According to the details I heard, the plane struck the rear of the SUV, rode up and over, and stopped just past. Details from the airport manager said the repair estimate is currently $40,000 and may still rise. Wing is dented. Spar is bent. Fuselage bent up. They don't have the wing off yet so additional damage may show up.
May also be totaled.
So what's the lesson? Back when I started flying, the instructor told me two things. Keep your speed down to a fast walk. Keep your head OUTSIDE. Apparently neither were done.
The owner is out of a plane and the school is down another plane, and the community of Warriors are down one more.

The SUV belonged to the environmental team in preparation to runway upgrades. It was supposed to be outside the taxiway but apparently the driver didn't get the memo.
Lots of men and equipment have been about the airport. A known quantity on runways and taxiways.

Ick. Taxiing fast enough to go up and over an SUV sounds a little excessive.

Tim

The SUV belonged to the environmental team in preparation to runway upgrades. It was supposed to be outside the taxiway but apparently the driver didn't get the memo.
Lots of men and equipment have been about the airport. A known quantity on runways and taxiways.

The airport manager thought the damage was indicative of a higher than normal speed. Her estimate was based on years of experience with patrons dinging the side of hangars and other parked planes.
I suspect the plane is a total loss. It makes me wonder what it would (really) take to get it in the air again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back