Maximum Entry Altitude

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
I was looking through the approaches for the airports I'll be going to this week. A new item showed up on one of them. VOR RWY 29 at KMSL (Muscle Shoals, Alabama)

What is the purpose of the "MAXIMUM ENTRY ALTITUDE 6000" restriction? I don't think I've seen that before. Is it because the VOR is so close to the runway (5.6nm) that a 6000' initial altitude prevents too steep of a descent angle?

Just curious.

didnt look at the plate, but its probably there because they have other procedures, perhaps an approach or DP/STAR that use that VOR at higher altitudes

One reason could be that the Columbus MOAs nearby start at 8000MSL and go up from there. The approach does not fly under the MOA as it is aligned to the SE. I would venture a guess but have not looked at any of the STARS going into the Class C airspace at Huntsville.

I looked at STARs for HSV and BHM, and didn't see anything really close to that altitude. In fact, I think the STARs were published at a lower altitude.

Oh well.. I didn't have to (get to?) shoot the approach anyways. :)

I looked at STARs for HSV and BHM, and didn't see anything really close to that altitude. In fact, I think the STARs were published at a lower altitude.

Oh well.. I didn't have to (get to?) shoot the approach anyways. :)
I was looking at other area procedures last night. All that appeared left was what you guessed in your original post. That's a very short distance between the fix and the runway in just a category A aircraft.

Dont know if this helps or not, but I asked a buddy of mine that lives/flies in that area, and he said that MSL vor is a fix on the arrival into KMEM and that is why there is a max entry alt.

Ahh.. I didn't think about MEM. I just did a quick glance at the STARs for MEM, and any of them that use MSL have the traffic crossing at 10k. But the MEMPHIS SEVEN SID, crosses MEM could cross MSL at 5k.

Good catch!

Back