Max takeoff x-wind

What max x-wind component have you encountered?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dmccormack

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dan Mc
Thursday morning I took off rwy 23 with winds 150v170 22G36.

I checked my log and that's the most x-wind I've ever done. While it was some work keeping everything straight, I used book technique (hold it on a bit until above Vr to ensure positive takeoff plus full aileron deflection into the wind) and it worked, though I could tell I was probably maxed out on control effectiveness in the A36.

So here's the poll -- what's your max t/o or landing x-wind encountered -- and be sure to include type airplane!

Well into the 30s direct crosswind with a Bull Thrush. I just lined up with the runway instead of my usual 30-45* off when light plane(you can't spray in these conditions) and nailed the throttle, the cross wind kept me from swinging around and when you're light in that plane, you're airborne in very few feet at full throttle.

Steady winds in the 20s, gusts well into the 40s. The 1900 doesn't seem to mind cross wind, you just have to use a little bit of brake on the upwind wheel until you're above about 60 kts, when the rudder becomes a lot more effective. That massive side profile swings the nose pretty hard once you break ground, though.

I voted for steady wind at 15-20. The highest reported gusts I've encountered was 28. Fortunately, PDK allows some variation on runways for us little guys.

Greater than 15, gusting to about 25. Not a pretty sight at all, even the third try (first try I touched, was skittish (and skittering) went around--second, went around--third was barely a charm).

X-wind? Why would I want to do that? It's much less traumatic to point the helicopter into the wind and take off into it. :D

Same same on landing...

:heli:

Upon the advice of counsel, I decline to answer. And I won't do it again, either.
The only guidelines we have are max demonstrated w-wind component (Which a/c have to certify up to 0.2 Vso), which we're told is not a limitation, but simply a guideline.

Unless the FAA gets you on the catch-all "reckless" in Part 91 (and then only after an incident that gets them involved), there is no regulation that says you can't take off in certain winds, correct?

Or am I missing something?

The only guidelines we have are max demonstrated w-wind component (Which a/c have to certify up to 0.2 Vso), which we're told is not a limitation, but simply a guideline.

Unless the FAA gets you on the catch-all "reckless" in Part 91 (and then only after an incident that gets them involved), there is no regulation that says you can't take off in certain winds, correct?

Or am I missing something?

Maybe this will help. If something is in the "Limitations" section of the POH or AFM, then it is a limitation and is mandatory. Demonstrated x-wind component is not in this section and therefore is not a limitation. All it means is that a test pilot flew an a/c in that kind of x-wind during the certification process.

Steady winds in the 20s, gusts well into the 40s. The 1900 doesn't seem to mind cross wind, you just have to use a little bit of brake on the upwind wheel until you're above about 60 kts, when the rudder becomes a lot more effective. That massive side profile swings the nose pretty hard once you break ground, though.

I learned (almost) the hard way that the V tail Bonanza has trouble countering a strong x-wind from the left.

Combine the 185 HP engine, the weathervaning tendency, the fairly light weight for surface area, and the ruddervators relative ineffectiveness at slow speeds and you're in for some fun with more than 10 Knots direct x-wind!

The salvation is the rather short takeoff roll -- flying a '47 V solo I can be up and over a 50' obstacle before a 172.

Amazing 61 year old bird!

Attachments

• small-v-tail.jpg
    small-v-tail.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 6
wind from the right will counteract left turning tendencies. crosswind from the left will amplify left turning tendencies. remember, you weathervane into the wind.

wind from the right will counteract left turning tendencies. crosswind from the left will amplify left turning tendencies. remember, you weathervane into the wind.

Funny! Just as I figured it out and deleted my post. Thanks for the timely response :).

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever landed or taken off with steady xwind over 15 knots, but I sure have had some "fun" gusts, even when the average wind speed was pretty mild.

There was this time, "...twenty-four, gusting thirty-seven..." at Santa Fe. Tower also told me, "traffic you're following is a twin Cessna emerging from the cloud of dust off the approach end of the runway..." which I thought was a joke, but was not!

The X-wind was not absolutely 90*, so component was less, but not enough less to make me feel warm 'n' fuzzy about it!

I was a bit nervous, but just reminded myself that, so long as the fuel holds out, landing is optional. As it worked out, I got the plane close, waited until "the right moment," and planted it. Almost got blown off of the wing when I went to deplane.

I was in an F33A Bonanza.

A heli-evac pilot wasted a multi-million Agusta later that day while hover-taxiing. Severe career-limiting move.

i gave jesse a flight review with gusting to 15 knot crosswind component. IIRC wind was 30 deg off runway at 20G30. A couple other times I've been able to take students out and use the crosswind runway to a 15ish knot component. you start to get to full rudder travel at that point in a 172. having wide runways helps a lot in this training exercise.

Well there was no weather reporting station, but with the dust blowing our guess was at least 20 with gusts well over 30. When we were parked into the wind, our A/S indicators were showing just under 40.

I was giong to vote in the 20-30 category, but you didn't say whether you wanted steady or the gust. I've certainly taken off in 20G33 direct crosswinds.

I was giong to vote in the 20-30 category, but you didn't say whether you wanted steady or the gust. I've certainly taken off in 20G33 direct crosswinds.

True, though I find steady winds easier to handle -- put in the appropriate correction, see if that works, and then adjust or hold.

Given the topography around here (1200' ridge just to the east, rolling hills in every other direction) we see gusts and variable winds all the time, especially in spring and fall.

Most airports around here have a drop off on one approach end or the other. You have to fly 50' high to account for the known and expected 50' drop when you hit the lee wave.

I learned to fly in far flatter Lancaster county, PA and it took a while to get comfortable out here.

Back