Max oil level for aeros- AEIO360 (Cap 10c)

H

hugh flung_dung

Does anyone *know* why the CAP10c POH says that the maximum oil level for aerobatics is 6 quarts? Does it just make a mess or is there some more subtle reason?

(Edited to add: the reason for asking is that I teach aeros in a range of aircraft and someone has put nearly 8 qts into a Cap10c, to decrease it needs a flight to the maintenance base. If it's going to empty itself down to 6qts in aeros then that's easier to do that, but I'm just concerned that there might be some other reason for the limit)

HFD

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen the same question on Pprune and flyer recently so I'll just add to those answers also pointing out that I know nothing about the CAP.
My copy of the Lycoming Operators Manual is consistent with those other responses. Just wondering if it is a typo or mistranslation in the POH and it should read 6 qts minimum?
Worth checking the earlier CAP10 manuals or with the manufacturer? Should be possible to contact Dominique wherever he is?

Got my hands on the POH and I see that it is not a typo. HFD, I can only agree with your recent post on Pprune.

Thanks for the thoughts. The UK CAP dealer said the max was set "so there is enough room for the oil and air to move around the system otherwise it would lock up or blow it over board" - I admit to being sceptical about a "lock-up" but we had it reduced to 6 to be sure.

HFD

As a guess, based on the Lycomings I maintain every day, there's too little room in the top of the case for large amounts oil to lay there and not be struck by the crankshaft and rods. The mechanical shocks created when the rods and so on hit the oil could crack the case, and would in any case throw so much oil into the cylinders that the rings would hydroplane and the plugs might get fouled very quickly.

Does the CAP have full inverted oil, with a dry sump and scavenger pumps?

Dan

Back