Max hours flown in one month?

Speed

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Speed
Just for fun. What was your max hours flown in one month, and what were you doing?

Mine was 133 hours, flying freight. The runner-up is 113 hours, towing banners.

I was just looking through my monthly totals, and to find a year that I flew less for the first quarter since this new job I have, I have to go all the way back to 2000, when I was in college! (90.2)

150hp SuperCub! I think one of the most fun airplanes I've flown...

August 2006, 31.9 hours flown. What a great time...that would be EdFred's inaugural fly in.

I logged 32 hrs of PIC in November of 2006, but about 80% of the flights I did were doing traffic watch with another pilot, so I was sitting in the plane for around another 20 hours that month.
That month included the longest single flight I have ever done. A 4.5 hour flight from FKL to BED in a 172 doing about 75 kts and racing a snowstorm that was maving up the east coast. Earlier that day I had done a 4 hour leg from LWV to FKL. At the end of that day, I didn't want to see an airport for a few days.

I think you need to differentiate those who fly for a living or are CFI, and have a secondary category for those of us who fly as a hobby.

As a hobby flier - 36 hours - Aug/05

47 hours - July 2005. All out of my own pocket.

And another category for those of us who have to share flight time with their spouse! (Or say "the two shall become as one" and allow us to combine the hours! :yes:)

An excellent question- I've never figured it out before.

For me, so far it's 25.3 hours, in September of 2000... most of that was flying a club 172 from 2N8 to KNEW and back over two weekends.

Without looking, I would guess last August when I was chasing cropdusters around Iowa. ~20hrs. Or November 2006 when Tony and I were finishing up my IR. OR April 2005 when we were flying the test hours off of the RV (~8 hrs/day for 3-4 days) OR June 2000 when I was working on my PP-ASEL, flying 2-3-4 times/week. Really haven't had any 'huge' months yet, though. Nothing over 25 hrs/month I'm guessing.

47 hours - July 2005. All out of my own pocket.

I was thinking that would be my biggest month too because I went to Gaston's, Houston, and was working like mad on my instrument rating... But then I realized that the trip down to 3M0 and TX was in June and the trip back was in July. So I don't know.

I bet August this year is gonna be close to it at least, and probably beat it. Madison, WI to Sunriver, OR and back. :)

To be certain, I'd have to look back at my log at work but I think it would have to be December 2006 while finishing commercial and doing a long XC over Christmas; ending around 45 hours.

At the current rate, I should finish out May 2008 with between 110 and 130 hours; mostly in a 150 or 172 and some time in a customer's Archer thrown in.

Ron, I've not seen ya or your picture. Ya must be a small guy considering I feel like I'm crawling into a bath tub every time I get into our 150. :) I had to cut off a few students from flying the 150 with me.

116.9. It included my longest leg, just over 6 hours from Charleston, WV to OKC, and my longest day at just over 12hrs. It's a lot easier when you're not paying for the gas :yes:.

The most I've done in a 4 week period was 92 hours to, around and back from Alaska in 2001. Next was out west and to the Pacific Ocean in July 2005 in 72 hours. Last year, it was to Kansas by way of Wyoming then back home by way of Big Bend Texas and the Rio Grande for 65 hours. This year I'm going from Michigan to Wisconsin, I figure it will take about 12 days to get there--according to my chart. :D

Barb

Attachments

• Northern Exposure2.JPG
    Northern Exposure2.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 29
The most I've done in a 4 week period was 92 hours to, around and back from Alaska in 2001. Next was out west and to the Pacific Ocean in July 2005 in 72 hours. Last year, it was to Kansas by way of Wyoming then back home by way of Big Bend Texas and the Rio Grande for 65 hours. This year I'm going from Michigan to Wisconsin, I figure it will take about 12 days to get there--according to my chart. :D

Barb
Yeah, Alaska will probably be mine too, but nowhere near what yours was! Since I'm flying a plane that's much faster than the Tri-Pacer and sharing hours with Leslie, I'm not expecting to top 30 hours in August. Especially, since the trip up will be in July!

i think i did 120ish a few summers ago, a combination of instruction, aerial photography, towing, and glider flying. gets pretty tiring.

i think i did 120ish a few summers ago, a combination of instruction, aerial photography, towing, and glider flying. gets pretty tiring.
I've gotten a few funny looks when I say I flew 28 hours my first week here. I must have it pretty easy! Then, I mention the average of over one hour on the ground to every hour of flight.

now that im full time, if i can get home less than 12 hrs after arriving at the airport im feeling like its a short day. i probably spend an hour for every flight hour playing ping pong with the line guys and trying to find hidden bags of M&Ms around the FBO...

looks like mine was 133.1 .j/k...127 hours this last month. p91/and a dab of dual given

I logged 32 hrs of PIC in November of 2006, but about 80% of the flights I did were doing traffic watch with another pilot, so I was sitting in the plane for around another 20 hours that month.
That month included the longest single flight I have ever done. A 4.5 hour flight from FKL to BED in a 172 doing about 75 kts and racing a snowstorm that was maving up the east coast. Earlier that day I had done a 4 hour leg from LWV to FKL. At the end of that day, I didn't want to see an airport for a few days.

My longest day was helping flying an A36 Bonanza from GEU (Glendale, near PHX) to FWQ (near Pittsburgh). The was AIRMET ECHO (Everything) along the entire route, but judicious planning and keeping north of a big low kept us in smooth air and VMC most of the way (making 200 Knots GS with a nice tailwind).

I flew the first 8 hours, John (the owner) the next 2 after a fuel/bio break stop in Terre Haute, IN.

After we arrived at FWQ he said, "We need to put this in the hangar at Connellsville (VVS) -- you want to fly it down there and I'll drive down in the car?"

He didn't have to ask me twice.

A nice 15 minute (maybe stretched to 30?) night flight solo after 10 hours in that airplane and I still enjoyed it.:yes:

It's hard to sum up in a sentence or a paragraph...maybe a book.
We are looking forward to it Diana! :yes:

As far as the most hours in one month, I can't begin to guess...

Back