max demonstrated headwind?

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
Saturday's supposed to be breezy. I was looking over the pipersport documentation and they list a max demonstrated headwind of 24 knots, distinct from the max demonstrated crosswind of 12 knots.

Why would they bother including the headwind number?

I've always wanted to land on the runway in the (very) short direction...

The stall speed of the Piper Sport is 42 knots. Why would flying it in a 24 knot head wind be a problem? :dunno:

I have never heard of a head wind restriction. :no:

I've flown my RV-12 (very similar to a Piper Sport) in 30 knot head winds. Van's has no restrictions on headwinds.

What am I not seeing here? :dunno:

Last edited:
The stall speed of the Piper Sport is 42 knots. Why would flying it in a 24 knot head wind be a problem? :dunno:

I've flown my RV-12 (very similar to a Piper Sport) in 30 knot head winds. Van's has no restrictions on headwinds.

What am I not seeing here? :dunno:

Maybe the problem is with the stability of the airplane when it makes turns during ground taxi?

I've seen total wind restrictions on LSA's before, and having been in one close to the limit, I'm a believer.

Maybe the problem is with the stability of the airplane when it makes turns during ground taxi?

Then, it would be a total wind restriction.

Maybe lateral stability becomes an issue in that kind of wind.

Maybe it's just being thorough. Demonstrated winds are not limitations.

I believe that is for ground handling, take offs, and landings. i cant imagine that would be at cruise altitude.

Why they would list it is a mystery to me but having decided to do so I guess the most they could find that day was 24 and since it's a demonstrated performance number they had to either take that or lie. Maybe they waited all summer for a bigger number but it never showed :dunno:

Pretty sure it uses differential breaking not nose wheel steering. I just don't see any problem with taxing under 30knots. Obviously, surface control orientation for taxing in heavy winds would be advisable.

If that is what the specs say I guess my first couple of flights would be under that. :lol:

OP, find a Piper Sport owner and talk to them. Maybe they have a forum? :dunno:

I landed my plane once with a 40 knot headwind. It has a Vso stall speed of 44knots. It was a real 'fly it to a stop' type of landings!!!

I landed my plane once with a 40 knot headwind. It has a Vso stall speed of 44knots. It was a real 'fly it to a stop' type of landings!!!

We use to fly and land to see who had the shortest ground roll. I won with 10'. :yes:

Yes, they were real airplanes. Fat ultra lights. :rofl:

flown a 172 in 35kt headwinds. take off and landing were not much of an issue. Extra power for landing and instant takeoff's. It was actually quite fun:yesnod:

If the headwind were greater than the stall speed, you wouldn't even have to start the engine. Just tie a rope to it and let the wind provide the lift!

Me in the Navion and a buddy in a very early 172 departed Siler City for the DC Area. I looked down at my ground speed of 80 on a TAS of proably about 140. Knowing that Chip probably was only doing about 100 airspeed, I could imagine he was having real fun.
In fact, he gave up about Richmond and drove the rest of the way.

If you were flying a Piper Cub and there was a 24 kt headwind and the next airport with fuel was more than 120 miles in that direction there is a good chance you wouldn't make it...

If you were flying a Piper Cub and there was a 24 kt headwind and the next airport with fuel was more than 120 miles in that direction there is a good chance you wouldn't make it...

I'd be sweating that one out even without the headwind

people these days won't run alongside the landing plane and grab the wingtips to hold it down, which is how this problem was solved inthe 1920's. Hence the limitations. However I'd think they would just publish a wind limit regardless of headwind component.

Yep, today was that day. Today's flight was... educational, compared to last week's relaxing flight to Tangier.

Fly one in such a wind and you'll find out fast.

In the Summer of '48 Dad took off with full fuel from U89 in a 65hp Cub and headed for BOI, about 70 miles to the NW to pick up some auto parts. At the one hour mark, he could see U76 about five miles ahead, giving him a total distance travelled of only 25 miles. He figured he could make better time driving and turned around to go back. He was on the ground 11 minutes later.

I think everybody has missed the point. It's the downwind turn after takeoff that limits the headwind component :).

LSAs commonly have odd limitations, and thank heavens that it's only "demonstrated" maximum. Allegro's POH states flatly "no tailwind takeoff or landings". No flying into KLAM for a Mr. Sport Pilot.

Fortunately, not LSAs are the same. Some are fully certified in other countrues, like Tecnam Sierra, which can even be flown IFR legally in Europe. Some have dual certifications, like Sky Arrow -- also available in America as Part 23 airplane under Normal (not even Primary) certification, if you have extra dollars. But you have to know what you're buying with LSAs.

I thought that maximum head wind was called Vne!
Not when you are on the ground and turn away from the wind it isn't (with a lot of smaller/lighter airplanes).:hairraise:
Although granted, at that point it's not really a headwind... I guess they should list a "max wind".
In general, I guess most of us would be leery of even taxiing in wind exceeding normal takeoff speed, but in reality, the practical limit might be lower than that... but not as low as the max crosswind limit (for takeoff/landing).

Last edited:
Makes it impossible to comply with "takeoff and hold short" clearance.

Back