Maule MXT7-180. Pros/cons

Jeanie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jeanie
I have a student interested in a maule mxt7. I don't know anything about This version is tricycle gear.

Anyone have an opinion good or bad? Oh wait, this is POA, silly question :lol:

Looking forward to your thoughts.

What is he trying to do with it ?

Dink from ranch to ranch.. The one he's looking at has vortex generators.

I heard a while back that some maules have bad stall characteristics and that's why the border patrol got rid of them but I don't know which model and if it's just part of the breed.

Maule has one solid thing going for it and that's the price, you can't beat it with a stick for what you get. Especially if you're going to buy a new one. We had an M7-235-C for about six years and flew it all over the place, including up to Alaska and back. It was a capable airplane and could haul a lot of stuff but don't be deceived, it's not all that roomy inside so if he's a big guy he ought to try it on for size before buying one.

Maintenance-wise it wasn't much trouble, an MXT7 could aptly be compared to a Piper Tri-Pacer although maybe not quite that ugly. The fuselage is fabric as is the horizontal stab and elevator. The wings are metal skinned but not stressed construction like a Cessna, just basically metal skin in place of what would have normally been fabric. They have fairly decent STOL characteristics but it's something you'd have to work at. I'd say they are not quite as well composed as your typical Cessna but it's a fun airplane with enthusiastic owners and it will do some things a 182 won't for a lot less money.

We had one in the CAP squadron I belonged to in the 90's. It wasn't a bad plane but putting the tailwheel on the wrong end didn't help. Handling was ok but it was cramped for anyone over 5'6" high. It kind of seemed like a gilded dandelion to me. Not a bad plane but I wouldn't buy one. There are other alternatives in the same price range with better versatility. I like the 172's much better for the job. If you want a tailwheel than the Maule will give you some advantage, if you're stuck with a nose gear than the cessna is better.
Just my opinions

Frank

Maule has one solid thing going for it and that's the price, you can't beat it with a stick for what you get. Especially if you're going to buy a new one. We had an M7-235-C for about six years and flew it all over the place, including up to Alaska and back. It was a capable airplane and could haul a lot of stuff but don't be deceived, it's not all that roomy inside so if he's a big guy he ought to try it on for size before buying one.

Maintenance-wise it wasn't much trouble, an MXT7 could aptly be compared to a Piper Tri-Pacer although maybe not quite that ugly. The fuselage is fabric as is the horizontal stab and elevator. The wings are metal skinned but not stressed construction like a Cessna, just basically metal skin in place of what would have normally been fabric. They have fairly decent STOL characteristics but it's something you'd have to work at. I'd say they are not quite as well composed as your typical Cessna but it's a fun airplane with enthusiastic owners and it will do some things a 182 won't for a lot less money.
I'd say all of the above with a minor disagreement - the tricycle Maule is just a bit uglier than the almost cute Piper milk stool. They both look fantastic sitting on their tails.

I owned a tailwheel MX7-180a for over 10 years and 1500+ hours. I was the third owner but got it with 35 hours on it. A great value for the $$$.

I can't think of a better mission for one than "dinking around the ranch". It's tough, simple, easy to maintain. The 180 Lycoming is a great engine for it. I had a full 1,000 lb for people and gas. The challenge is fitting it all in... but it will fly it and fly rather well at full gross. No need for a bigger engine. It won't go much faster and will just burn more gas. I ended up getting and using my instrument ticket in it. Not an ideal platform for such work but it'll do it.

It's handling is a bit truck-like but straight forward. It does not have any nasty stall characteristics at all. Just the opposite. I didn't have turbulators and never felt the need. It has decent STOL characteristics except that one does have to work to land short over an obstacle. The flaps are not particularly effective compared to Cessnas. I had an extra flap setting that I understand is not on most models. I didn't even bother using it because it didn't really do anything except look extreme. On the other hand, the reflex (negative) setting is a godsend when you want to come down.

If you try for a maximum angle, minimum speed approach with full flaps and power-off, you won't have enough elevator authority to properly flare unless a bit of power is added. That's one more thing that you have to do compared to a 152/172 which have more effective flaps and enough elevator to finish off a steep, minimum speed approach. Oh, and it slips just fine too.

Size wise, I'm 6' and 215. I was comfortable but glad that my wife is petite. It will haul a load. My favorite configuration is with the rear seats out giving you an enormous cargo area with access that only a steel tube fuselage can muster as in, "sure, we'll come down and pick up the christmas tree and the kids trike". We've put two full size bikes back there with just the front wheels removed. It's tight but highly accessible space. I think the MX7 is slightly smaller than the M7.

You can also fly it with any one of the 4 doors (!) removed. I suggest the pilot door early in the morning with a good set of noise cancelling phones on. :yes::yes::yes:

Can you tell we loved our Maule?

As an enthusiastic owner put it to me: an airplane built by farmers for farmers.

Twice I had the opportunity to buy one at a good price and the only reason I didn't was that I had absolutely no mission for it. One was a 180 on amphibs that the owner sold for a supercub. The 180 is apparently not enough to haul the amphibs out of the water. The other was a 235 when the owner lost his medical. Both had low hours, had good avionics and were in great cosmetic shape and could be had for 100 120k during the economic slump.

Hmmm, he might have a problem then because he's 6'4" as I recall. Although he fits fine in the old club 172.

If you try for a maximum angle, minimum speed approach with full flaps and power-off, you won't have enough elevator authority to properly flare unless a bit of power is added.

One thing I learned is not to trim the nose up during the approach, meaning that if you do it enough you're gonna have a left arm like Popeye's but when you trim nose up in any airplane that has a servo tab elevator trim system you are effectively removing the trim tab surface from the total elevator surface area meaning you have less elevator surface to flair with. I learned that from a Maule guru, it's a bit more pronounced in Maules maybe because they are somewhat short coupled and have a pretty large trim tab but it's true with Cessnas too to a lesser degree.

I have to agree that putting a nosewheel on a Maule is an abomination but that's marketing for you. :rolleyes:

One thing I learned is not to trim the nose up during the approach, meaning that if you do it enough you're gonna have a left arm like Popeye's but when you trim nose up in any airplane that has a servo tab elevator trim system you are effectively removing the trim tab surface from the total elevator surface area meaning you have less elevator surface to flair with. I learned that from a Maule guru, it's a bit more pronounced in Maules maybe because they are somewhat short coupled and have a pretty large trim tab but it's true with Cessnas too to a lesser degree.

I have to agree that putting a nosewheel on a Maule is an abomination but that's marketing for you. :rolleyes:
I so want to try that.

Of course it's not all that tricky just to blip the power and do the flare. I'm not sure even Popeye could fly much of the pattern without trimming.

Yes, 6'4" won't work very well.

Check insurance quotes before pulling the trigger, friend had one and thought the Maule insurance was higher then comparable aircraft. Maybe it was him.

Check insurance quotes before pulling the trigger, friend had one and thought the Maule insurance was higher then comparable aircraft. Maybe it was him.

Did he have the milkstool version ?

On percentage value basis, they shouldn't be that different from a Cessna 180.

Did he have the milkstool version ?

On percentage value basis, they shouldn't be that different from a Cessna 180.

Taildragger, he bought it and did his Private training in it, but claimed after getting the ticket and having 100 + hours(no accidents) the insurance was still high. Said it was a Maule thing, maybe it was him. Just some more internet hearsay to complicate airplane ownership.:wink2:

...the insurance was still high. Said it was a Maule thing, maybe it was him....

I'm pretty sure it's a Maule thing. I know that a large number of the owners have the "bushpilot wannabe" syndrome and take their planes into some gnarly back country strips for no reason other than to say they've been there and, as a result, they wreck a lot of them.

The wrecks themselves aren't the entire problem, it's the recovery costs when you bang your bird up in the middle of nowhere. Same reason seaplane insurance is so high because you can wreck a seaplane 100 miles from the nearest road.

Last edited:
Jeannie:

I was fortunate enough to get some time in a tri-gear Maule, courtesy of Pilots of America member Mike Schneider of Tallahassee, Florida (sadly, flown west several years ago, a really good guy).

The Maule seemed to me to be a a very straightforward and honest airplane, and I really enjoyed flying in it. Mike did a couple of practice approaches while we flew, one of which ended up having some actual (Florida summer weather for you), and it seemed to be very stable and appropriate for instrument work, as well.

I like the way they are built -- welded steel and plenty of strength, or so it appears to me, and the landing gear in particular is specifically constructed to be durable on less improved surfaces. For the conditions where you fly, I would consider the Maule to be a perfect choice.

For what it's worth, advice worth every cent you paid for it!

Taildragger, he bought it and did his Private training in it, but claimed after getting the ticket and having 100 + hours(no accidents) the insurance was still high. Said it was a Maule thing, maybe it was him. Just some more internet hearsay to complicate airplane ownership.:wink2:

Not that many newish 4-seat taildraggers to compare with. Stinson, C180, can't think of anything else right now. I don't doubt that it is more expensive than a 2-seater like a Citabria or a tricycle like the 182. Probably some truth to the wannabe bushpilot thing.

Not that many newish 4-seat taildraggers to compare with. Stinson, C180, can't think of anything else right now. I don't doubt that it is more expensive than a 2-seater like a Citabria or a tricycle like the 182. Probably some truth to the wannabe bushpilot thing.
Yeah, it's the newish 4-seat taildragger thing. The big engine taildragger version could be a handful if less than proficient.

I don't think the wannabe bushpilot thing is an issue except to the extent it is reflected in the accident record.

I don't think the wannabe bushpilot thing is an issue except to the extent it is reflected in the accident record.

Right, and for the record I didn't mean to imply there is anything wrong with the wannabe bushpilot thing. It is, after all, your airplane and you should do with it what you please but the purchaser of a Maule is just statistically more likely to go to a place like Soldier Bar and that just means there will be a higher number of incidents than with 182 owners. Not because they are stupid or incapable or unskilled, just because the environment is riskier.

In the end all Maule owners pay for it whether they want to do that kind of stuff or not but they know and accept it up front when they buy the airplane.

I had the opportunity to get a ride for lunch in a tricycle Maule. I was quite impressed with the elevator authority, While performing the run-up, at the "flight controls free and correct" part the effect of the elevator was quite noticable, even at just off idle rpm, (~900). As mentioned above, it felt a little "stiff" on the controls in flight, but (with only an hour at the controls) I didn't think it to be anything other than an airplane that does what you tell it to do.

I'm 6'2", and was quite comfortable. as was the back seat pax. (about 5'9")

If a 182 will do the job I think I'd lean that way as there is a lot to be said for owning a common airplane when you need parts or a good familiar mechanic.

The wrecks themselves aren't the entire problem, it's the recovery costs when you bang your bird up in the middle of nowhere. Same reason seaplane insurance is so high because you can wreck a seaplane 100 miles from the nearest road.

And it can sink in hundreds of feet of water and be really hard to find, and the government will insist that it be retrieved.

Dan

Right, and for the record I didn't mean to imply there is anything wrong with the wannabe bushpilot thing. It is, after all, your airplane and you should do with it what you please but the purchaser of a Maule is just statistically more likely to go to a place like Soldier Bar and that just means there will be a higher number of incidents than with 182 owners. Not because they are stupid or incapable or unskilled, just because the environment is riskier.

In the end all Maule owners pay for it whether they want to do that kind of stuff or not but they know and accept it up front when they buy the airplane.
Understood. I just don't know if tri-gear Maules actually get charged a premium.

Someone may have already mentioned this, the 3rd wheel is on the wrong end.

It just looks wrong for a Maule to be a nose dragger.

Going in and out of unimproved fields, the tail wheel helps keep the prop farther from the grass or rocks.

Back