Maui Luau's

Don Jones

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DJones
Well, the wife and I are going to Maui in May. Been busy scheduling activities. We were wondering if going to a luau is one of the must do things or are they touristy?? If they are a must do, any recommendations?? We have a flying day scheduled, and a fishing day, the rest is just sight seeing and laying on the beach recovering from this b**ch of a year.

My wife and I went to Maui about 15 years ago and we went to a luau. The pig cooked in an underground pit was the best pork I have ever had. If I remember right it was pretty expensive, but I was not paying. It is a great place for a vacation. Enjoy.

Luaus are very touristy. I have been to one in all my trips to Hawaii. But it is something you should do once to check it off of you 1000 things to do before you die list.

I've been over to Maui a few times...My wife and I enjoyed the "Drums of the Pacific" Luau at the Hyatt on Kaanapali Beach the best. We went back to the island with some friends a few months ago, and did the Old Lahaina Luau, which is marketed as the only authentic luau in Maui. My wife and I were a bit disappointed after the one at the Hyatt. Both were absolutely touristy, but as others have said...one of the things you should do while you're there.

We went last year and had a great time. The most popular Luau in our area had to be booked months ahead. We still went to a nice one, but there can fill up pretty quickly in the high seasons.

I'll try to get you a link.

Best,

Dave

http://www.oldlahainaluau.com/Shop/index.html

Here's a link to the oldest luau on Maui (I believe <g>.). It was full several months before we arrived. We stayed at the Sheraton Maui and the concierge there arranged for another one a few hotels down. It was fun. Just a matter of how picky you want to be and how much you're into it.

Have a great trip!

Best,

Dave

i tried to get Leah to reply to this one. She went to Maui a few weeks ago. They did a Luau but not a touristy one and they loved it alot. she couldnt remember the name. Have a fun trip!

Apparently the Old Lahaina Luau is 'the' Luau to go to on Maui. It's always booked several months ahead. My parents went to Maui back in Feb. They stayed at the Sheraton (I think) and did a luau that was local since Old Lahaina was booked. From their description, it was the exact same thing as the one my wife and I went to at the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu.

I second the idea of taking the Hana Highway trip. It's cool to see all the different vegetation on the island. Only problem is that, due to the earthquake they had there last year, the road that goes around to the south side of the island is closed. :(

Find and buy "Maui Revealed". It's a great guide to maui that helps avoid the more 'touristy' spots and still gives a suggestion for a great rip.

#1 Rule when visiting Maui: GO TO MAMA'S FISH HOUSE FOR DINNER!! Pricey, but worth the $$$. Make reservations to be there through sunset. Awesome view and UNBELIEVABLE food!

Have fun. Wish we could afford to go back soon! :D

Back