Mattituck Still Alive

davidm767

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Davidm767
Opening Note: I'm just a unofficial messenger!

So on a very cold (Deep-South Alabama October standards) MVFR day...The SERFI (South-East Regional Fly-in) Saturday fly-in netted some interesting news.

Continental Motors had an engine care workshop. Other than the standard stuff, they passed along that Fairhope Alabama service center just recently (as of a week ago - and a year late!) pushed out their first factory overhaul. The service reps were very straight forward in calling the overhaul a Mattituck-Continental product. In fact they are still pressing for a Mattituck name on their service-center certificate. Which to you and me they are still pressing forward with the trusted long-standing product name. They went so far as to say that although they were wearing Continental Motors T-shirts, their pay-stubs still sport the Mattituck name. And some (not all) of the original old-hats decided to stay in the mix by moving south (cultural change for sure! :hairraise:).

Continental owns/operates the FBO in Fairhope and were very adamant that anyone wanting to visit the service center give them a 24 hour advanced notice and they would be more than happy to give you a tour. They were also very adament that they would support the Lycoming brand for overhauls as well.

Also of an interesting note: Any engine coming out of their factory with issues (shipping damage, warranty work, etc.) they ensure NO engine is allowed to go back to Mobile, AL. Instead each engine must be routed to the Fairhope, AL service center to receive repairs. They do this because it is MUCH easier to ensure QA and not mix regenerated/spec'd/or refurbished parts on their factory lines.

I'm not trying to endorse Continental Motors (Full Disclosure: my aircraft sports a Lycoming but was last overhauled at Mattituck), however I thought it would be interesting to pass along the news.

They are calling it "Mattituck" but as I understand from friends who got the axe when they closed the real Mattituck facility only one employee, a parts guy, went to Fairhope. This is a "startup" operation bearing little resemblance to Mattituck other than the name.

Real shame all around. The my aircraft's powerplant bears the Mattituck imprimatur. I've never flown behind anything so smooth.

Back