Matt Sawhill in the news (sort of)

Well-written and thoughtful. Just what I'd expect from Matt.

What Matt wrote is no less than expected for any professional in pretty much any field that involves working with the public. In short- don't diss your employer in front of the customer/user.

Good letter. It might also be nice to tell airline pilots, "good job", or "thanks for the ride" or "I know the job sucks but I for one really appreciate what you do" whenever you encounter them.

I was really annoyed at Applebee's the other night when all the waitresses were complaining about how the verterans that got the free steak should have tipped them extra since it was free. After listening to this ***** fest for about 30 minutes I was looking for their manager and then realized that their manager was doing it with them.

I couldn't believe how disrespectful they were being towards the veterans and how they felt that I needed to listen to all of this while eating. Needless to say--it didn't help their tip.

On my last two airline flights a few weeks ago, I got stuck towards the back of the 'tube'. As other people were literally pushing each other out of the way to get off the plane (even though we were 20 minutes early), I just sat still and was one of the last ones off the plane. It gives me an opportunity to say a couple words to the pilot as they are departing as well. A simple "Man.. IMC the whole way and you don't get the approach at the end. Bummer." Seems to show them that some of the cattle in the wagon realize that they are much more than a bus-driver.

Nice letter, I think it is just common sense not to complain in front of your customers.

Wow... Matt has really been recognized by the pilots on another board, and most are pretty pi$$ed at him! Most are airline pilots who, though they recognize the validity of his statements, feel he is way over the top.

I support Matt's comments fully. In ANY business, it is improper to ***** and moan in front of the customers. And when someone's security and trust is placed in a complainers hands, it is given much less freely.

Anyone who makes a statement like that is going to get backlash, mostly from the people who that statement is aimed towards.

I'm in full agreement. It's demeaning to the profession and to all of us who take flying seriously and professionally, even if we aren't technically professionals. I like to think my passengers, though not paying, feel as though they're being flown by someone who's professional. Positive attitude is a big part of that. An uneventful flight is another.

I'm with Matt on this. You don't complain in front of your customers. You make your complaint to management and if your management does not listen then you move on.

I understand that being an airline pilot right now is really tough. At the same time -- there are a lot of people in a lot of careers going through tough times. What bothers me more are the younger pilots that complain about their pay, when they knew damn well, what the pay was when they signed up.

The older pilots are getting the raw end of the deal. With each year passing they are more locked into a career that currently isn't going in the best direction. It might turn around, it might not. It still does not mean it's acceptable to whine in front of passengers.

Last edited:
matt i never knew you were such a lousy driver :)

I'm with Matt on this. You don't complain in front of your customers. You make your complaint to management and if your management does not listen then you move on.

I understand that being an airline pilot right now is really tough. At the same time -- there are a lot of people in a lot of careers going through tough times. What bothers me more are the younger pilots that complain about their pay, when they knew damn well, what the pay was when they signed up.

The older pilots are getting the raw end of the deal. With each year passing they are more locked into a career that currently isn't going in the best direction. It might turn around, it might not. It still does not mean it's acceptable to whine in front of passengers.

Agreed on all counts.

I understand that being an airline pilot right now is really tough. At the same time -- there are a lot of people in a lot of careers going through tough times.

I'd trade with an airline pilot in a heartbeat right now.

At least they get to go home occasionally. :frown2:

I haven't been home in a month. Heck, I haven't been in my home STATE in a month. I've been getting all-night "hot" runs where I occasionally don't get a break at all, then I get to deliver the load while I'm supposed to be sleeping.

For example, a few weeks ago I was to deliver a load near Dayton - It was supposed to be a "drop and hook" but they hadn't unloaded any of my company's trailers yet. I arrived at 1:30 AM, was told they'd live-unload me rather than unload one of the other trailers. I waited... and waited... and waited... at 5 AM they finally assigned me a loading dock door. I backed in and went to sleep while they unloaded. At 8 AM they finished and gave me my paperwork. I pulled off the dock, closed the trailer doors, and went to park in the back corner of their lot (which was at least half empty and had several dozen empty spaces). Right when my head hit the pillow again, someone pounded on my door and told me I couldn't sleep there. "I still have 3 1/2 hours left on my break, I can't leave yet." So they told me to park in the street, where there were a dozen or so other trucks parked as well. So, I parked on the street and went to sleep. Then, I was woken up AGAIN and told (by the people from the same company) that I couldn't park there! :mad2::mad2::mad2: Um... You people TOLD ME TO PARK HERE!!! :frown2: He threatened to call the cops on me, which I would have welcomed. Ugh.

And that's how it is. Any pilots want to switch?

BTW, the reason I've stayed out for a month was to earn enough home time to spend some extra days while family members were in town for thanksgiving. I asked for 6 1/2 days (this coming Monday night through the following Monday morning). Yesterday they told me that not only am I not going to be home on Monday, but that I'm going to be making 3 deliveries, and then be in Akron, OH on TUESDAY and then they'll start thinking about pointing me towards home. :mad2::mad3:

What? No takers? Everyone's back in their cockpits being thankful that they are an airline pilot now? Damn.

I'd trade with an airline pilot in a heartbeat right now.
Hmmm, seems like not too long ago I read a post about how much better truck drivers have it than airline pilots. :confused:

Sorry about your problems. :frown3:

Way OT. Do trucks drive slower on the interstate now than they did a few years ago?

Back on topic, while I agree that people should not complain about their company in public in front of the customer, I can't recall seeing or hearing airline pilots doing that in front of passengers in the terminal. Maybe I just don't pay much attention. :dunno:

Do trucks drive slower on the interstate now than they did a few years ago?
A lot of them are automatically speed-limited based on their fuel consumption. I imagine as gas costs increased that the speed was reduced. A couple of MPH costs a lot more money than saving a few minutes.

According to a friend of mine who was an independent, one of the big OTR carriers figured that driving at 63 mph saved them a TON of money over driving at 65 or 70. But it sort of puts a crimp on those who get paid by the mile.

According to a friend of mine who was an independent, one of the big OTR carriers figured that driving at 63 mph saved them a TON of money over driving at 65 or 70. But it sort of puts a crimp on those who get paid by the mile.
I wouldn't be surprised if some of the carriers had a rule like that but I would say that not one of the trucks I encountered on my drive to and from Wichita last week were doing anything over 65-70. That's even in Colorado where the speed limit is 75.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the carriers had a rule like that but I would say that not one of the trucks I encountered on my drive to and from Wichita last week were doing anything over 65-70. That's even in Colorado where the speed limit is 75.
That's because a lot of them speed limit the driver. The driver can put the petal to the floor and the truck just won't go any faster.

Hmmm, seems like not too long ago I read a post about how much better truck drivers have it than airline pilots. :confused:

That was specifically about hours-of-service regulations. We get more rest... That's all.

Sorry about your problems. :frown3:

Thanks... I got a new set today. I actually found another driver who used to work for my old company who has a load going to Wisconsin - And he lives near Akron where my load delivers. We agreed to swap loads, but dispatch still won't let us - And the next thing they want me to do is take a load of dog food to Sam's Club in Kansas City, for an 11:30 PM Wednesday delivery, which guarantees I'll be spending Thanksgiving on the side of the road somewhere. :mad3::mad3::mad3::mad3::mad3:

Should that actually continue to be the case, I'll be having a chat with the company's owner and his son about what their philosophies are. Depending on the outcome of those conversations, I may well spend Thanksgiving taking their truck back to the terminal, cleaning it out, and renting a car to go home. I will work my tail off when I'm on the clock (which in this industry is 24x7 for a couple of weeks at a time), but you'd better not mess with my off time.

You need a better union.

Heh... We need *A* union. Most of the trucking unions have been killed off by the companies - Schneider, for example, used to have a union but they managed to hire enough non-union drivers that they were able to can the union drivers. (A few of 'em ended up at my last company.)

To my knowledge, the only companies left that are union are the LTL (Less Than Truckload) carriers like Yellow, Roadway, etc. (They're usually the ones pulling double/triple trailers.)

OTOH, I'm not a big fan of unions either, as they end up with too much power and cripple their companies. That's why I will sometimes end up with a load that consists of only one pallet - It's cheaper in some instances for the shipper to pay for my entire truck than it is to pay for a single pallet to go on an LTL carrier. :yikes:

What I'd really like is for people to just care about other people more than they care about how big their profits are. That is the root of the problem. Okay, maybe it's the trunk - Wall Street is the root. No, that's not it - Greed is the problem! Good luck solving that. :frown2:

Way OT. Do trucks drive slower on the interstate now than they did a few years ago?

Yes. Prior to 2004, only a few of the really big carriers were governed at less than 65 (Schneider, Swift, JB Hunt were all down at 62). Around 2004, Schneider and Swift bumped up to 65, so only JB Hunt drivers were stuck at 62 - I used to tell my trainees: "There are three kinds of vehicles you can always pass - RV's, U-Hauls, and JB Hunt trucks." :rofl:

Which is nearly all of us who are over the road. If you see a truck with a sleeper cab, that guy's almost certainly getting paid by the mile. The local guys tend to get paid by the hour.

There are some instances where pay is a percentage of the load revenue - 75%-85% is a fairly common number for owner-operators, and they're the ones with the best chance of getting a percentage gig instead of a per-mile gig. I only know of one instance where a company driver was paid on that basis (and that was the ONLY company driver, the rest of the company, about a dozen trucks, were owner-operators) and that was 28%. But that is exceedingly rare for a company driver.

It's not a rule - The trucks are governed, as Jesse said. The company I worked for in 2002-03 had theirs limited to 68 mph. The last company I worked for (2004-08) was limited to 65 mph on the cruise control and 67 mph with the pedal to the floor (to allow us to get around someone faster), though they paid us a pretty hefty bonus (on the order of $500/quarter) to keep our "overspeed" (over 65mph) time to less than 5% and our idle time low.

The company I'm with now uses a program called "Driver Rewards" that's loaded into the engine's computers. It keeps a running average of my fuel mileage - If I can keep it above 7 MPG, it lets me go 70 mph. Less than 7 MPG but greater than 6.3 MPG, it lets me go 65. If I go below 6.3 MPG average, it drops my maximum speed to 63. So, I do everything I can to keep my fuel mileage up except slowing down. ;) I accelerate as slowly as I reasonably can even if I have a light load, I avoid using cruise control if there are any hills at all (even an overpass), and I try to manage my energy such that I use the brakes as little as possible. I'm trying to be the Bob Hoover of trucking - A couple of days ago I managed to coast off the highway, up the ramp, around two corners, and into a parking spot without hitting the brakes until the last little tap to come to a stop in the parking spot. :)

I've mostly managed to keep the 7 MPG, though last week the truck went back and forth between 65 and 70 about every 10 minutes one night, and then my next load was VERY heavy and had to go through the worst terrain on the east coast, so I was stuck as 65 for several days. Once I got a really light load and then deadheaded a fair distance, it started going 70 again.

Either way, even 70 is high for a company truck. Any truck you see that's going 75 or more is an owner-operator who can specify their own speed limit including "none" for their truck.

Either way, even 70 is high for a company truck. Any truck you see that's going 75 or more is an owner-operator who can specify their own speed limit including "none" for their truck.
Does it pay for the owner operator to run faster than everyone else? Basically, how often is the time saved worth more than the increased fuel consumption?

Does it pay for the owner operator to run faster than everyone else? Basically, how often is the time saved worth more than the increased fuel consumption?

Pretty much never, especially at those speeds, but you'll never be able to tell one of those guys that. :rolleyes:

I even heard a guy on the CB at one point claim he could get 8 MPG at 80 mph. I asked what kind of truck he had, what kind of engine/HP he had, etc. etc. and it turned out he was driving the exact same thing I was - I couldn't even get 7 MPG at 65 mph in that thing, and I had an APU (not counted in the fuel consumption) for heating/cooling/charging. I had a rather amusing conversation with the guy for a couple of minutes - He was absolutely certain that the laws of physics didn't apply to HIS truck. :rofl:

<SNIP>
The company I'm with now uses a program called "Driver Rewards" that's loaded into the engine's computers. It keeps a running average of my fuel mileage - If I can keep it above 7 MPG, it lets me go 70 mph. Less than 7 MPG but greater than 6.3 MPG, it lets me go 65. If I go below 6.3 MPG average, it drops my maximum speed to 63. So, I do everything I can to keep my fuel mileage up except slowing down. ;) I accelerate as slowly as I reasonably can even if I have a light load, I avoid using cruise control if there are any hills at all (even an overpass), and I try to manage my energy such that I use the brakes as little as possible. I'm trying to be the Bob Hoover of trucking - A couple of days ago I managed to coast off the highway, up the ramp, around two corners, and into a parking spot without hitting the brakes until the last little tap to come to a stop in the parking spot. :)

I've mostly managed to keep the 7 MPG, though last week the truck went back and forth between 65 and 70 about every 10 minutes one night, and then my next load was VERY heavy and had to go through the worst terrain on the east coast, so I was stuck as 65 for several days. Once I got a really light load and then deadheaded a fair distance, it started going 70 again.

Minimum energy works great when there's little traffic and they can get around you. It works great only for the person practicing minimal energy usage when ther's more traffic or the traffic can't get around. The other traffic that is not going to your destination turns kenetic energy into heat slowing down for you and then tries to regain that energy.

While not energy related, people that don't understand what you are doing (most of them, actually) get frustrated- some of them do stupid stuff to get around a vehicle managing their energy.

I'm not saying don't do it...just keep the other traffic in mind, as I'm sure you do.

Minimum energy works great when there's little traffic and they can get around you. It works great only for the person practicing minimal energy usage when ther's more traffic or the traffic can't get around. The other traffic that is not going to your destination turns kenetic energy into heat slowing down for you and then tries to regain that energy.

While not energy related, people that don't understand what you are doing (most of them, actually) get frustrated- some of them do stupid stuff to get around a vehicle managing their energy.

I'm not saying don't do it...just keep the other traffic in mind, as I'm sure you do.

Yep - If there's a lot of traffic I just leave the cruise on.

FWIW, I think there are VERY few drivers who understand the principles I use anyway - Yes, I'm using all that engineering school for SOMETHING out here at least - so when you see a truck going slow up a hill it's because they've got a heavy load, not because they're trying to do any energy management. And even though I *can* do it, I probably wouldn't bother if it didn't affect my max speed, unless I was getting paid extra to have good mileage (some companies have a "fuel bonus," but none that I've worked for.)

What are you doing it in?

Citabria 7ECA at Green Castle. It's the same bird (N8313V) that Tony brought to 6Y9 two years ago that got on the front page refueling at the local gas station. :yes:

attachment.php

Attachments

• P9020026.jpg
    P9020026.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Ahh.

I thought about doing that with the 195 but decided it was more trouble than it was worth. I am still not sure the hose was long enough.:D

Back