Math (trig) question

I'd be happy to help if you decide to continue with it.

Nauga,
simplifying terms
I shall require a sandwich.

--

I'll dig back into that Wolfram page again. I think it has what I need, but I have to work through the formula to figure out my known values and to look at the physical components to verify the drawing above actually matches what I have. I am pretty sure that the link "L" is directly in-line with the Z rod at the zero position. That makes the starting values simple because I can set the rod position at that point as "zero" and then +/- from there.

I had been looking at it as a series of angles and triangles, but the 2-circle intersection approach seems easier. The math is messy, and there is a lot of it, but it's already been done by others that are smarter than I am. And, it uses square roots and cosines, and chicks dig square roots and cosines.

OK - finally back onto this. From what I've found, there are plenty of on-line resources with "intersection of two circles" equations and calculators. I need to do this in two steps - calculate the two intersection points and select the one that I care about, and using that point recalculate angles. But I have to work backward because I will know the angles first. Given the angles, I can figure the required intersection point on the large circle, then adjust the Y axis of the small circle until it intersects at that same point.

Simple. Coffee will help.

How accurate does your answer need to be? Make a simple working model and measure the angle.
Probably down to about 3 decimal places, maybe 2.

I need to write this into a program. Given the point of intersection on the large circle, return the Y value of the center point of the small circle. The X value of the small circle center point will be constant.

I can calculate the intersection point because the large circle radius and (x,y) doesn't change, just the angle of rotation. And for that I can do simple math to find the base and height (x,y) values of the triangle that would give me a point on that circle. Now I know where the two circles have to intersect and I need to work backwards to find the y center point of the small circle.

Here are just a few of the things I found:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3349125/circle-circle-intersection-points

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Circle-CircleIntersection.html

http://csharphelper.com/blog/2014/09/determine-where-two-circles-intersect-in-c/

Free play, fits an clearances or manufacturing tolerances taken into account?
Yeah - taken into account, and I already know there will be a lot of mechanical slop in the system. But the math can go down into the weeds. I just need to calculate a single position - if the mechanism can't get there within a reasonable tolerance, that's a different problem.

What I'm getting from your description is that you want rotation α as a function of z, something like this. Correct?

diagram.jpg
OK - got it figured out, I think. Don't need the "2-circles" things after all...sort of.

I can do it all with triangles, sines and cosines.

I'd be happy to help if you decide to continue with it.

Nauga,
simplifying terms

I'll PM both of you to explain what I did. Thanks, to both of you. It took some ciphering and drawing, and then I had one of those aha-moments. Of course, I may be totally wrong.

OK - got it figured out, I think. Don't need the "2-circles" things after all...sort of.

I can do it all with triangles, sines and cosines.

Told ya. (snark, snark, snark)

Told ya. (snark, snark, snark)
Yeah, well. I'm a little slow.

I spent most of yesterday doing all the 2-circle math. I needed to know one point in particular. Given all the info I had, I could calculate all the other points, distances, and angles. Then I would have to work backwards to get that point that I needed. Turns out doing that is a pain. But after drawing all the lines and such, I was able to see the triangles. I'm a little slow and need to "see" things.

I know you recommended using triangles, and that's the original way I was going, but I didn't "see" it until a couple hours ago. Thanks for the hints.

Yeah, well. I'm a little slow.

I spent most of yesterday doing all the 2-circle math. I needed to know one point in particular. Given all the info I had, I could calculate all the other points, distances, and angles. Then I would have to work backwards to get that point that I needed. Turns out doing that is a pain. But after drawing all the lines and such, I was able to see the triangles. I'm a little slow and need to "see" things.

I know you recommended using triangles, and that's the original way I was going, but I didn't "see" it until a couple hours ago. Thanks for the hints.
I'm just being a snarking bastard. Good job working it out. I've drawn many, many, many triangles doing layout/design work...even once used triangles to measure how much a jack-up barge was listing...I think I still have a little clear plastic protractor in the case with the HP-41c...

Fortunately, I was NOT the kid in class that always asked, "Do we need to know this for the test?"

Back