Math/regs check... PBOR/Medical

Doggtyred

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
Ok.. just double checking with the masses here...

My last medical was a 2nd class dated June 2003. I've not flown since 2006 or so. My age at the time was 32. I'm now 44.

My understanding then was 2nd class was good for 12 months, and then was good for 3rd class privileges for a longer period of time... I want to say I remember it being 5 years over age 40 and 3 years for under... Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Looking at the CURRENT regs it appears that a 2nd class is valid for 5 years under 40 and 2 years over 40.

This whole PBOR2 thing makes it look like I SHOULD be good to go.. provided my 2nd class that was issued in June 2003 at age 32 was valid sometime through July 2006, which falls within the 10 year prior period specified. It looks to me like it should have been, and that the 5 year/60 month 3rd class privilege for "then under age 40" applied then and applies now. Anything I'm missing?

I would be eligible for special issuance if I cannot go this path, based on my understandings of the regs, my current health history and my conversations with Dr Chien, so this is more about seeing if I qualify for the privileges under PBOR2, not trying break the rules.

What say ye?

Getting kind of excited about getting current again.

Ok.. just double checking with the masses here...

My last medical was a 2nd class dated June 2003. I've not flown since 2006 or so. My age at the time was 32. I'm now 44.

My understanding then was 2nd class was good for 12 months, and then was good for 3rd class privileges for a longer period of time... I want to say I remember it being 5 years over age 40 and 3 years for under... Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Looking at the CURRENT regs it appears that a 2nd class is valid for 5 years under 40 and 2 years over 40.

This whole PBOR2 thing makes it look like I SHOULD be good to go.. provided my 2nd class that was issued in June 2003 at age 32 was valid sometime through July 2006, which falls within the 10 year prior period specified. It looks to me like it should have been, and that the 5 year/60 month 3rd class privilege for "then under age 40" applied then and applies now. Anything I'm missing?

I would be eligible for special issuance if I cannot go this path, based on my understandings of the regs, my current health history and my conversations with Dr Chien, so this is more about seeing if I qualify for the privileges under PBOR2, not trying break the rules.

What say ye?

Getting kind of excited about getting current again.
You should be good for the FIRST 4 year period of "4th class" issuance by your doctor. Only after that would you need to win a new medical (SI) before your doc has to rise to the occasion again :)

Wait...what!
It is only good for 10 years after your last good medical? After that 10 year window is up you have to go back and get a new 3rd class medical/SI to reset the timer?

Wait...what!
It is only good for 10 years after your last good medical? After that 10 year window is up you have to go back and get a new 3rd class medical/SI to reset the timer?

That is not my understanding. If you have had a valid medical within the last ten years, then you go onto the new program forever. The medical is really just a one time thing from now on.

You should be good for the FIRST 4 year period of "4th class" issuance by your doctor. Only after that would you need to win a new medical (SI) before your doc has to rise to the occasion again :)

Ok... maybe I'm missing something. I was under the impression that if I had a valid medical privileges at any point in the prior 10 years that I could utilize the "4th class" as you describe it, with my ongoing PCP endorsement, in perpetuity, provided I did not have one of the automatically disqualifying conditions.

So what do you mean "win a new medical (SI)".. what am I missing?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back