Material cost increase

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Yesterday I ordered enough material to repair 6' of fabric on a wing and was astounded at the cost increase of the fabric re-covering materials

fabric glue, was $7.95 per qt, now $55
Reducer for the glue, was $18. now 87.50
Ceconite 102 was $5.45 per yd, now $12.
fabric primer was $13 per qt, now $56.
primer catalyst was $14 qt, now $25
plus hazmat shipping on each.

I now have 8 Man Hours in the preparation and will have another 12 in repair and finishing, @ 50 per 20X$50=$1000 labor, plus 250 in materials, just for a simply fabric repair.

And we wonder why the little guy is disappearing from aviation.

Sounds like ITW bought out the supplier, and now demands their profit from the umbrella'd company.

When was the "was" price? somewhat recent?

1975!!!!!!

In that case - check my math:

R^(2011-1975) = 55/7.95
R^36 = 6.90
ln(R^36) = ln(6.90)
36*ln(R) = 1.9316
ln(R) = 0.0537
e^ln(R) = e^0.0537
R = 1.0551

So annualized price increase per year for fabric glue: ~5.5%
For primary catalyst I get: ~1.6%

One is above the US long term average (1913 to 2011; 3.24%) the other below.[1]
Most of those price increases probably occurred prior to 1990. So the OP is 20 years late in posting his complaint. :D

[1]
DecadeInflation.jpg

Is that the new fabric covering system you have been praising, Tom?
Its your fault then, it got too popular from your advertising!
J/K.
Astronomical prices has been the history of our calling. I always like the expensive hobbies.

Is that the new fabric covering system you have been praising, Tom?
Its your fault then, it got too popular from your advertising!
J/K.
Astronomical prices has been the history of our calling. I always like the expensive hobbies.

It's Airtech system, my last order was 3 years ago.

there are no thinners or reducers for Stewarts system nor do they have any hazmat charges.

their paints are not cheap either. but less chemicals to buy.

In that case - check my math:

R^(2011-1975) = 55/7.95
R^36 = 6.90
ln(R^36) = ln(6.90)
36*ln(R) = 1.9316
ln(R) = 0.0537
e^ln(R) = e^0.0537
R = 1.0551

So annualized price increase per year for fabric glue: ~5.5%
For primary catalyst I get: ~1.6%

One is above the US long term average (1913 to 2011; 3.24%) the other below.[1]
Most of those price increases probably occurred prior to 1990. So the OP is 20 years late in posting his complaint. :D

[1]
DecadeInflation.jpg

Rationalize it any way you like, remember owners get the bills, the higher the bill the higher the rental bills every thing perks down to the consumer.

Is this a good thread for a "looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue" gag?
:D

It's Airtech system, my last order was 3 years ago.

Ah, well, 3 years versus 36 in the exponent does tend to make for a different rate of inflation ... more like 90% a year for the last 3 years for the fabric glue. :hairraise:

Ah, well, 3 years versus 36 in the exponent does tend to make for a different rate of inflation ... more like 90% a year for the last 3 years for the fabric glue. :hairraise:

That's kinda sorta what I was pointing out.

Mixed Color Chsm Reds, Metallics, Etc. Gal $250.34 Gals

I forgot what it cost when I bought the top coat for the 24, wasn't cheap then either.

Last edited:
Prices are not going up, the dollar is just buying less, much less. One year ago a 36"X 72" sheet of corrugated cardboard cost me $1.35. Today my cost is $5.00.

Obama ordering the printing of billions of dollars in new currency, in order to maintain state and federal payrolls, has devalued the dollar and has put us into an inflationary cycle.

You can make all the powerpoint graphs you want, but on the worldwide moneymarkets, the dollar is dropping, big time.

John

Last edited:
NO NEW TAXES,........ Remember? but which hurt the poor folks worse? high taxes or high inflation?

Back