Masters of the Air--coming to Apple TV

IMO not even close to Band of Brothers.

Agreed, the story line was so shallow and you barely got to know the characters. I get it, it was a meat grinder, but it barely told their stories. Overall it wasn’t horrible, but BoB and the Pacific were so much better overall.

Agreed, the story line was so shallow and you barely got to know the characters. I get it, it was a meat grinder, but it barely told their stories. Overall it wasn’t horrible, but BoB and the Pacific were so much better overall.

Maybe that was the point? I haven't watched it, but having seen several comments here, and after reading the books that Pacific was based on, I think the "barely got to know the guy before he was gone" was a common sensation for those that served during that time period. Maybe the show makers intentionally didn't give you all the details to try to show what it was like to be left wanting to know more about someone OR feeling the sensation of thinking "it's not worth getting the details of this guy, 'cause one of us will be dead in 24 hours anyway...".

Just throwing it out there as an option...

Given how much of social media goes to the dark side of opinions in everything, it was a good show and we are all lucky to have anything approaching this level of detail in our culture. If you want something to compare it, think “Pearl Harbor” recently. Or just how lucky it was to reach production after all the HBO and Apple legal departments had their say. Enjoyable entertaining history for a generation removed from the greatest generation.

The key is to watch the Hanks/Spielburg narrated documentary after called “The Bloody 100th”. In the series, I thought Buck was just a little too cool. It was watchable but don’t expect Band of Brothers or The Pacific quality

I think this review is spot on. The three biggest gripes. No preamble to war. For those of us who know the history, that’s fine but it would have been nice like BoB or The Pacific to get an understanding where they came from. Second, character development. This goes back to the first issue in not highlighting their training and their private lives before deployment. Finally, what’s been covered before, the CGI. It lacks realism. It’s like going to an IMAX movie and watching CGI vs real imagery. Just don’t get the same feeling.

Back