Mastering Turbulence

you learn that nothing breaks and you move on.

you learn what causes it and how to avoid the worst of it.

you ask the controller for reports and where it might be smoother.

you live with it.

A turbocharger.
Sounds cavalier, but the solution is to be >10,000 above the surface, and quickly.

Hi

Sometimes turbulence really bothers me. How does one get over it?

There is a spectrum. On one end is the people who develop a tolerance, on the other end people never get beyond it. In other words, there are varying levels of tolerance that can be developed.

I don't like turbulence and I am prone to motion sickness. I've certainly experience the two worst stages of sea sickness. One is that I was afraid I was going to die. The other is being so sick that I was afraid I wasn't going to die.

The more turbulence you experience, the more tolerance you may develop.

Being relaxed and not stressed is helpful. Understand turbulence causes and realize that the airplane isn't going to fall apart.

Being well rested and physically fit is helpful.

Not having an empty stomach or a full stomach is helpful.

Fresh air lightly blowing on your face can help.

Some people swear by those wristbands (didn't do a thing for me).

Ginger can help a bit.

Good luck.

A turbocharger.
Sounds cavalier, but the solution is to be >10,000 above the surface, and quickly.

Agree. Until getting a little more HP, we were usually stuck below 6,500' in the turbulence. Now our XC's are always 6,500-16,500 where it is mostly smooth and cool except for 5-10 minutes of climb/descent. Try to stay above the scattered cumulous for a better ride too.

Anticipation of areas of turbulance is the first thing for me. I know that if VFR areas below cumulus clouds, and flying from the colder water to the warmer land are the areas where I will experience turbulance. Slowing down to Va or slower will decrease the effects, and so I will do that before I enter these areas. If you can fly higher, further from the ground, or above the clouds will help as suggested above. Also like suggested earlier in the day, before the land warms up, and later in the day or at night is the best. I am not bothered by turbulance, but prefer not to subject my passengers or my plane to it if I can.

Eyes outside, big smile on your face and think about them Vikings and other such daredevils crossing the rough seas :)

I used to be very uncomfortable when it was bumpy too, even into my professional career. I'm rarely bothered by it now, and the only way that came about is by just getting up there and flying.

Flying early in the morning is the best way to avoid tubulence. If weather above is clear fly high. If you encounter turbulence throttle back and slow down. it makes a big difference. If encountering 40,000 feet build ups try flying around or underneath. Downdrafts can not flow thru the ground so the effect is less underneath the build up.

José

Get a fabric plane with wood wings :)
My Cessna will beat the crap out of me, my biplane always seems to be smooth. I think the wooden wings work as a shock and absorb the turbulence.

A CFI in Hawaii once showed me what a real turbulence is like by flying into a cloud that was all torn up by winds. They get such effects from trades hitting the Big Island. That provided some useful perspective.

Seriously though, do not ever fly into thunderstorms, even in a jet.

Flying early in the morning is the best way to avoid tubulence. If weather above is clear fly high. If you encounter turbulence throttle back and slow down. it makes a big difference. If encountering 40,000 feet build ups try flying around or underneath. Downdrafts can not flow thru the ground so the effect is less underneath the build up.

José

Very poor advice. Flying under a 40,000' thunderstorm will kill you almost as fast as flying through the middle of it.

Very poor advice. Flying under a 40,000' thunderstorm will kill you almost as fast as flying through the middle of it.

Notice that I said build-ups not thuderstorms. I do it all the time here in Florida and still alive and well.

José

Notice that I said build-ups not thuderstorms. I do it all the time here in Florida and still alive and well.

José

What is the best way to determine the height of a build-up?

What is the best way to determine the height of a build-up?

Visually if you have a horizon finder scope or through XM\WX Echo Tops feature. What matters most is not the absoulute height but if you can go above it. Anything below the horizon line is below your altitude. Even if it shows below the horizon build ups can grow quickly and by the time you get close they are above your altitude. They normally grow from 10 am to 4pm local time. If they show within 100nm of your desination don't waste your fuel and time climbing and just go underneath. XM\WX Pro shows also turbulence activity. It is important that whenever facing turbulence condition to tighten your seatbelt and slow down the plane.

José

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back