Mastering Takeoffs and Landings Seminar

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
AOPA Air Safety Foundation Presents.....

Mastering Takeoffs and Landings Seminar

Monday, September 29th, 7-9pm

Doubletree Guests Suites
Chestnut A,B,C
640 W. Germantown Pike
Plymouth Meeting, PA

I'm going to attend.

Last edited:
For any of you folks that take the seminar, and want WINGS credit, if the AOPA folks don't take care of it for you...

1. Logon to faasafety.gov (or go and register)
  2. Then under the WINGS menu on the left, select My Wings, and then in the My Wings Tools section of the page that pops up, select "Activity Search or Validation".
  3. When the search menu pops up, choose "Show additional search options"
  4. Paste AOPAASF-TAKEOFFSLANDINGS-SEMINAR into the "accredited activity number" field, then hit the Search button.
  5. When the list comes up, click on the activity, and when the description comes up, click on the "Request Credit" link on the right side.
  6. Now you get a new screen, and you can enter the date of the Seminar, and you can select me as a validator. Put timothy.metzinger@metzair.com into the email address tab, and hit the "Submit for Validation" button.
I'll get an email, get in touch with you for any "proof" I might need, and then I'll approve the credit, and you'll have your 1 KEB (knowledge, elective, basic) credit for your basic wings phase all done!

Enjoy the seminar - and please, let me know if AOPA has a way to issue you credit - their folks may take a roster and many of them are FAASTeam reps, so they may be able to do it for you.

EDIT - it looks like AOPA wants you to do essentially the same steps, but putting in an email address for the ASF (which has reps). Either way, you'll still be doing the first 5 steps.

Last edited:
We have the same seminar in Austin next Wednesday and I have at least one, possibly two students going as well.

This will be near me soon as well. I'm interested to see what tips they might have. A student and I are planning to fly in and attend.

Kate, where are they having this seminar?
Stan there is going to be one in Northbrook real soon.

October 7, 2008
Time: 7:00-9:00pm
Mastering Takeoffs and Landings Northbrook, IL RADISSON HOTEL NORTHBROOK
2875 N. MILWAUKEE AVENUE
BALLROOM A & B
NORTHBROOK, IL 60062

On the same night there is also one on Milwaukee
October 7, 2008
Mastering Takeoffs and Landings Milwaukee, WI CLARION HOTEL & CONFERENCE CENTER
5311 S. HOWELL AVENUE
MITCHELL ROOM
MILWAUKEE, WI 53207

October 7, 2008
2875 N. MILWAUKEE AVENUE
BALLROOM A & B
NORTHBROOK, IL 60062

I just got that in the mail.

Be warned that the Radisson runs out of parking spaces during these things.

I might go for the learning and social aspect but since I don't give a * about Wings any more, I don't need the credit.

Rockford and Madison too:

Monday, October 6, 2008, starting at 7:00 pmWarner Park Community Rec. Center
spacer.gif

1625 Northport Drive
spacer.gif

Madison, WI 53704
spacer.gif

Wednesday Oct 8
7:00 - 9:00 PM
Greater Rockford Airport
Public Safety Building

--david

Last edited:

October 7, 2008
2875 N. MILWAUKEE AVENUE
BALLROOM A & B
NORTHBROOK, IL 60062

On the same night there is also one on Milwaukee
October 7, 2008
Mastering Takeoffs and Landings Milwaukee, WI CLARION HOTEL & CONFERENCE CENTER
5311 S. HOWELL AVENUE
MITCHELL ROOM
MILWAUKEE, WI 53207

Gee, and I'm going to be in the Northbrook area that evening (meeting at UL the next day). However, I don't think a seminar is going to help me master landings. :p Only some serious time in the air will help there.

I am going to be at the one in Decatur, GA tomorrow night.

Anyone else going?

I missed the one in Nashville a couple weeks ago due to being out on business. :(

Someone please report back.:yes:

Gee, and I'm going to be in the Northbrook area that evening (meeting at UL the next day). However, I don't think a seminar is going to help me master landings. :p Only some serious time in the air will help there.

What helped me - and I had to be the thickest-headed student in history - was the King "Mastering Takeoffs and Landings" Take-Off video tape. The first few times I watched THAT I didn't get it, but as watched again after flying endless patterns, it stated to make sense. I just could not abide with "How much? Just enough." :D

Went last night to Plymouth Meeting, and learned a few things and was reminded of some very imporant other items. Won't spoil it for you, but it was good in my opinion.

Good presentation and interaction with the group using the video segments along with the statistics and tips.

I'll post a "Post Seminar Breifing" on my Blog later today during my work lunch-hour.

I'll be going to the one in Bolingbrook on 10/6/08 at 7:00 PM at
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites
spacer.gif

205 Remington Blvd
spacer.gif

Bolingbrook, IL 60440

I know at least one instructor at Clow who's planning to go, and hopefully bring a few students.

I flew in to this seminar at Manitowoc, WI tonight. It was good weather so several other planes flew in, and many people drove. There was a record-setting crowd, well over 100 people. The FBO had to bring in extra chairs. I've never seen such a well-attended seminar in my area outside of AirVenture.

I thought the seminar was very well-done and informative overall, and so did my post-solo student. The on-screen outline was good, and several videos reinforced the points being made. Some of the most eye-opening info to me was the accident statistics & analysis, like how there's about one accident per month caused by a door popping open and the pilot getting distracted.

And guess what: the presenter even used a picture of Gaston's as an example of a one-way-in, one-way-out strip. I was the only person who raised my hand when he asked if anyone's been there.

Now, if I could have prevented him from saying you can't slip a Cessna with the flaps down... :no:

Despite the flap comment bugging me, this was a good quality presentation and I would recommend it. The AOPA Air Safety Foundation has a web site where you can find out if it will be in your area.

For any of you folks that take the seminar, and want WINGS credit, if the AOPA folks don't take care of it for you...

1. Logon to faasafety.gov (or go and register)
  2. Then under the WINGS menu on the left, select My Wings, and then in the My Wings Tools section of the page that pops up, select "Activity Search or Validation".
  3. When the search menu pops up, choose "Show additional search options"
  4. Paste AOPAASF-TAKEOFFSLANDINGS-SEMINAR into the "accredited activity number" field, then hit the Search button.
  5. When the list comes up, click on the activity, and when the description comes up, click on the "Request Credit" link on the right side.
  6. Now you get a new screen, and you can enter the date of the Seminar, and you can select me as a validator. Put timothy.metzinger@metzair.com into the email address tab, and hit the "Submit for Validation" button.
Tim,

they gave us similar instructions at the seminar and I tried to log in and get my credit. My problem is that there is no "my wings" option under the wings menu so it doesn't work. Yes, I'm signed up, registered, have an account, etc.

What am I missing?

Last edited:
Tim,

they gave us similar instructions at the seminar and I tried to log in and get my credit. My problem is that there is no "my wings" option under the wings menu so it doesn't work. Yes, I'm signed up, registered, have an account, etc.

What am I missing?
You need to enroll in the WINGS program - click on the WINGS pilot proficiency program on the left side, and then Wings Info, and you'll see a link to enroll in the program.

Enrolling at faasafety.gov does NOT automatically enroll you in WINGS - some folks enroll just so they can get certain safety products via email.

I flew in to this seminar at Manitowoc, WI tonight. It was good weather so several other planes flew in, and many people drove. There was a record-setting crowd, well over 100 people. The FBO had to bring in extra chairs. I've never seen such a well-attended seminar in my area outside of AirVenture.

I thought the seminar was very well-done and informative overall, and so did my post-solo student. The on-screen outline was good, and several videos reinforced the points being made. Some of the most eye-opening info to me was the accident statistics & analysis, like how there's about one accident per month caused by a door popping open and the pilot getting distracted.

And guess what: the presenter even used a picture of Gaston's as an example of a one-way-in, one-way-out strip. I was the only person who raised my hand when he asked if anyone's been there.

Now, if I could have prevented him from saying you can't slip a Cessna with the flaps down... :no:

Despite the flap comment bugging me, this was a good quality presentation and I would recommend it. The AOPA Air Safety Foundation has a web site where you can find out if it will be in your area.
Interesting, because Pat Schaub, who gave our seminar, talked about the utility of the slip and made no mention about not being able to slip the Cessna with the flaps down. In fact, he showed a video of a 172 doing exactly that!

We had about 130 people, IIRC. I'd have flown in, but since my takeoff and departure airports would have been the same, it didn't seem to make much sense! :)

You need to enroll in the WINGS program - click on the WINGS pilot proficiency program on the left side, and then Wings Info, and you'll see a link to enroll in the program.

Enrolling at faasafety.gov does NOT automatically enroll you in WINGS - some folks enroll just so they can get certain safety products via email.

ahhhhhhhhh

Thanks

Edit: I just completed the excercise. What a royal PITA. FAA word of the day:

intuitive

Pronunciation: \in-ˈtü-ə-tiv, -ˈtyü-\

Function: adjective

Date: circa 1645

1 a: known or perceived by intuition : directly apprehended <had an intuitive awareness of his sister's feelings> b: knowable by intuition <intuitive truths> c: based on or agreeing with intuition <intuitive responses> <makes intuitive sense> d: readily learned or understood <software with an intuitive interface>
2: knowing or perceiving by intuition
3: possessing or given to intuition or insight <an intuitive mind>

Last edited:

We had the same presenter in Madison (which was also well attended). The no slips with flaps in a Cessna comment also bothered me, as did some of his comments about flap settings for landings... but then he sortof recovered on that one by talking a little bit about energy management during a landing.

Unlike some of the other ASF seminars, this one did not seem to have a set script -- the presenter was able to skip portions, or add portions, and I added little bits based on his own flying (like the comment about flaps -- he flys a Cessna).

Overall a very good seminar, and it gave me some things to think about.

--david

ps: and this thread reminded me about getting Wings credit...

Back