Massive IFR Test Changes?

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
I'm using King's great IFR course and studying hard. Someone told me though that the FAA did massive changes to the questions and test. King says not true...they routinely update questions and King's on-line course gets updated in real time.

Does anyone know for sure?

Was there a massive overhaul or just the routine tweaking of questions and answers?

Thanks, all!

I'm using King's great IFR course and studying hard. Someone told me though that the FAA did massive changes to the questions and test. King says not true...they routinely update questions and King's on-line course gets updated in real time.

Does anyone know for sure?

Was there a massive overhaul or just the routine tweaking of questions and answers?

Thanks, all!

I took my written two weeks ago and saw minimal differences from the Gleim software that I bought in 2010.

I took the test last week.

King IFR course references diagrams through fig 154. For the test I was given an additional book with at least 100 more diagrams, none of which were used with the "latest" King online IFR course.

They are changes. As long as you understand the concepts that Kings teach you'll be fine. If the test asks you to look at an approach chart the answer is on the figure, somewhere! I did the test mid Feb and I looked at an approach chart for a 5 solid minutes looking for the answer. KNOW THE CONCEPTS and you'll be fine.

I would say that it is mostly in the "tweaking" category, and not a wholesale overhaul. Look at the King's supplemental questions, and make sure you can do them. (There is a PDF that you can download from their web site with updated questions) I took the test a few weeks ago. There were some GPS questions on there that were in the supplemental questions. There was only one question that I had not seen the form of before which had to do with calculating the time you would arrive at a way point based on the time it took you to get between two other points. There was also one gps questions that I could not recall the facts necessary to answer, but was able to look at the "Legends" and find the necessary information. So, overall, not too hard.

I saw on another board [posted by someone fresh from their oral exam] that there is no longer a "grace" period when the '6 approaches and a hold' currency expires, and that an IPC is needed. Since I am in the recently-lapsed category, I am interested.

Is there any truth to this, or was it a misunderstanding?

I saw on another board [posted by someone fresh from their oral exam] that there is no longer a "grace" period when the '6 approaches and a hold' currency expires, and that an IPC is needed. Since I am in the recently-lapsed category, I am interested.

Is there any truth to this, or was it a misunderstanding?

The FAA attempted to clarify there rule, and confused a lot of people. the rule never changed. You still have 6 months to get current with a safety pilot, before an IPC is required.

Back